Painting white styrafoam base??

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by aslan, Sep 30, 2006.

1. aslan

aslan Member

Unfortunately, those of us CA can't find the pink stuff so I ended up using the white. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to paint this? I'd like to paint the whole thing brown but do I need a primer? Any help?
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I use regular latex paint on the pink/blue. I've also felt that a bit of some sort of scenery base is useful to disguise the texture.
  3. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

That's what I was thinking too. Cover it up with plaster cloth or just Wall Joint Compound to take away the smoothness and paint that.
  4. Thoroughbreed

Thoroughbreed Member

DO NOT use enamel or any oil base on styrofoam as it will melt it, simple chemical reaction.:thumb:
  5. jasbourre

jasbourre Member

I learned that the hard way when I was buliding (I mean helping) my dauther with her castle for a school project.

A good way to cover that white styrofoam would be to use a box or two of Plaster of Paris, a the cheapest paper towels available.

announce1 There's a threat ( more of a totorial) I seen a couple of months ago about using Plaster of Paris in a salt shaker.
  6. aslan

aslan Member

Just painted a sample with and without primer. Both came out great so now I've got some extra primer! LOL
    Thanks for the help guys. :thumb: