Painting those darn small parts

Ok everyone:

How in the world do you paint those darn small parts? I had some today that I painted. Well, needless to say. My fingures got painted too.

I use to work in an electro-static paint shop. We use too hang small part on the line with wire. I do this if the peice has a hole in it. Then I wire 30 guage wire to it. Then after it's painted. I hand it on a hook on my bench.

How does everyone else do this? I would like to know from the masters!
tongue.gif

Andy

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Depends on what type of small parts you are painting. If I have to paint half a dozen barrels, I will sit them on some masking tape (So they don't move) and spray the lot, then add the coloured bands later.
If on the other hand all the parts are different colours, thats a different matter, I will go cap in hand to my Grandson (Small fingers) who is only too pleased to help.
waver.gif

http://www.badger-creek.co.uk

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
That's my answer too (depends on the item being painted)
smile.gif
I use masking tape if they are large enough. But in N scale Nothing is THAT large
smile.gif
I always spray on a primer coat,(flat grey auto primer) then spray on a coat of the main color. How you "mount it" depends in the size & shape. I've hung parts still on the tree. I have used 20 Gauge wire to hang parts by wrapping it around one end & painted the other. I've used "alligator clip" vises. Also the 4" wood vice just to hold an end of a part. I've painted one side of parts then come back to paint the other, so the "Dry" side is always touching the bench. I have most always used a (5) 0 or (10) 0 brush or toothpicks for detailing. Now that I don't have that much time on my hands for detailing. I'm into G scale - Much less toothpick painting.
smile.gif
-- Hope this helps..

------------------
------------------
My wife says if I buy One more Train, she'll leave me...
Gee I'll miss HER!!!! :) -- N Gauger

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
I like Shamus's idea of using masking tape to keep things stationary, I never thought of that one.

I use N Gauger's idea of alligator clips on a small vice. Also, depending on what the item and it's size are, hold the sprue in a vice for painting if it's a kit.

One helpful tip is to realize that you can't necessarily paint the entire thing in one sitting. Do as much of it as you can, but don't do any work in haste. That's when you get buildup of paint and a mess. Take your time at it.

George.

[This message has been edited by George (edited 06-11-2001).]