Painting the lower hull....

Teamski

Hey,

Does anybody have any pointers on whether or not it's wise to spray paint the lower hull? I've seen the example on Kartonbau.de and it looks like an appealing thing to do. I'm just not happy with how my Hood hull looks like, and I am thinking about it. I also hate the fact that I KNOW there will be a gap between the upper and lower hulls. I may just extend the black strip when time comes.

-Ski

Teamski

Hey,

Does anybody have any pointers on whether or not it's wise to spray paint the lower hull? I've seen the example on Kartonbau.de and it looks like an appealing thing to do. I'm just not happy with how my Hood hull looks like, and I am thinking about it. I also hate the fact that I KNOW there will be a gap between the upper and lower hulls. I may just extend the black strip when time comes.

-Ski

mpakier

You have to remember that acrylic paint is based on water.
If you use it too much at once you can destroy the hull.

The other think is that when you are painting the hull you can improve
the surface of it. The cyanoacrylic glue (superglue) is good for this.
You can fill all the holes and asperities with superglue. Then the paper
is like plastic so you can sand it with sandpaper (I use a paper nailfiles for sanding).

It's better if you make an experiment first to learn it. Build some
small hull or something like a hull and try on this.

mpakier

You have to remember that acrylic paint is based on water.
If you use it too much at once you can destroy the hull.

The other think is that when you are painting the hull you can improve
the surface of it. The cyanoacrylic glue (superglue) is good for this.
You can fill all the holes and asperities with superglue. Then the paper
is like plastic so you can sand it with sandpaper (I use a paper nailfiles for sanding).

It's better if you make an experiment first to learn it. Build some
small hull or something like a hull and try on this.

I've used acrylics with success too.

Multiple thin coats. I've done as many as five coats on one hull. It really hides the hull lines well. Ties it all together nicely.

I've used acrylics with success too.

Multiple thin coats. I've done as many as five coats on one hull. It really hides the hull lines well. Ties it all together nicely.

JHS

Liquitex Paste sold in art supply stores, with their acrylics, is a superb putty for paper models. You can carve it and sand it with ease. I use only mat artists' acrylics on paper models. A few light coats of watery Elmers allowed to hard dry followed by acrylic paint results in paper parts as hard and stiff as plastic.

I haven't tried using my airbrush on the underwater hull of a large paper ship model. I see no reason why this wouldn't work. Use many light coats.

JHS

Liquitex Paste sold in art supply stores, with their acrylics, is a superb putty for paper models. You can carve it and sand it with ease. I use only mat artists' acrylics on paper models. A few light coats of watery Elmers allowed to hard dry followed by acrylic paint results in paper parts as hard and stiff as plastic.

I haven't tried using my airbrush on the underwater hull of a large paper ship model. I see no reason why this wouldn't work. Use many light coats.