painting sleepers ?

fran1942

OK, I have got my track all laid down (standard black plastic flexi track), and now I want to paint the sleepers to get rid of the factory black colour.
I am modelling early 20th century west coast.
Any recommendations for paint colour ?
Also, does anyone have any recommendations for weathering etc of the sleepers. Being my first rail layout, this is my first time I to do this.

Thanks for any advice.

hminky

Here is how I weather track:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/4x8/weathered_track/

close_up.JPG

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Russ Bellinis

Harold got it right, as always. Just make a wash with a light grey acryllic paint or dry brush with light grey acryllic. New ties today are treated with creosote so they look about the color of telephone poles when new, but once installed they are left to weather. I'm not sure how early 20th century ties were prepared, but I suspect they were done the same. You didn't mention what part of the West coast you are modeling. Weathering to grey would be typical of dry climates like southern Cal, eastern Oregon, or eastern Washington. The Pacific Northwest is an extremely wet climate West of the mountains, I'm not sure how ties weather in such a wet climate. If it is different, perhaps some of the guys from Seattle or B.C. could chime in.

fran1942

thanks Harold, I should have know to look at your site first.
As usual, lovely work you have done. I will be following your method today.

Cheers
Phil - New Zealand.