Painting Scenery

mrazz

Can anyone share tecniques and paint suggestions for painting landscapes such as trackside detail. I'm trying to find out what kind of earth tone paints anyone uses in place of the expensive woodland scenics earth tone paints. I need to cover large areas and have never modeled scenery befor.

Any information will help, thanks.

Sawdust

I take a few colors of acrylics that you can get at craft stores (Folk Art, Americana, Apple Barrel & others) for a dollar. I mix these up a few drops of this & that until I get a color I like then take that swatch at the local box stores & get a gallon mixed. I just recently purchased two five gallon buckets of top soil from the local nursery for $3. each. I spread a thin layer of white glue on a piece of cardboard & dusted some of my dirt on it to make a color swatch. I took this to the box store & got a gallon mixed. I will be putting my Maple Valley Logging & Millwork together this winter so now I got my paint for the undercoat before I spread the dirt. Some of the new Behr brand paints that have the primer & finish coat combined can be mixed by the quart or pint. As far as what color to use that could be anything that looks good to you. I hope this helped.

ytter_man

Cheap artists acrylics that can be mixed/diluted with water work well for some wood and most cast plaster stuff. :thumb:

Bill Nelson

great idea Sawdust

Sawdust's idea of getting a gallon on paint for a base is great. I use the acrylic paints from the craft store, but when you start to paint you want to cover everything with a lot of paint, this will seal your plaster, and unless you are using hydrocal the paint is probably going to be harder than the plaster. sure you will have other colors in profusion on top of this, too much of one color is bad artistically, but the point here is insuring that if you miss a spot with later efforts you don't have a bare piece of plywood or a white patch of plaster showing through. tiny specks of white plaster or bare plywood will stand out like a sore thumb, ruining the illusion of a little world.

Bill Nelson