Painting scenery buildings

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
Apologies in advance .... i'm in trouble deep ahhhahaha.

I need some help :( i'm a complete washout when it comes to painting my models (static 1/25th scale cars i used to build) I've been advised about the testor's acrylic paints. My son is riding me like a mule to get the buildings built so now i have to go buy some glue and paint :).

Any suggestions? We have an older badger airbrush and compressor i used to use to spray paint my rc cars. Dunno if the skills are still there w/ that thing though i'm thiking more along the lines of a nice brush .. one color on the roof one color on the side and green on the base :) hahahaha.

Should i scuff the plastic w/ 600 grit sand paper like i used to w/ the models? I'm going to string thread in between the light poles, is there a more scale or better looking alternative?

Is there a particular voltage/type of led i should get if i want to setup signal lights?

This will be the first time i've installed scenery in a model layout, any suggestions would be greatly welcomed..

and ... what is the meaning of life .. how small is a quark .. does it rain in southern california .. how far can you throw a brick?!
tooth1

65GASSER

Jun 12, 2006
Malvern, AR
For the light poles, There is a company that makes colored lines. I've seen fishing line used and it looked pretty good. Was a silver colored line.
I've never used a badger airbrush but I hear good things. I use a old testors unit.
As for the meaning of life..I dunno yet. I'll get back to ya. No idea what a quark is... It rains in SoCal. Did when I stayed in San Diego anyway. I can throw a brick pretty far. :wave:

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
65GASSER said:
For the light poles, There is a company that makes colored lines. I've seen fishing line used and it looked pretty good. Was a silver colored line.
I've never used a badger airbrush but I hear good things. I use a old testors unit.
As for the meaning of life..I dunno yet. I'll get back to ya. No idea what a quark is... It rains in SoCal. Did when I stayed in San Diego anyway. I can throw a brick pretty far. :wave:

Thanks!! I have some fishing line in the garage. We aren't looking for true scale realism. I'm really trying to get my son to feel a sense of accomplishment and to get him to follow directions. Him and his dam nintendo and the blinkin microwave .. and cd's!! Don't get me started i used to have to REWIND my movies when i was done w/ 'em!!

So anyway i want him to get into this and see what it feels like and looks like when you take your time and do it right vs flicking a switch and be instantly entertained. BTW i'm a younger guy who grew up on nintendo .. but we played outside and only played w/ the nintendo when it rained and when my sister broke my tyco cars and i was too lazy to fix them :).

This all sounds great to the wife too so she lets be spend money on me toys hahahah!!

65GASSER

Jun 12, 2006
Malvern, AR
Oh don't worry, I'm the same younger guy that grew up on nintendo games. Played outside with dirtbikes and whatnot. The blinking microwave thing had me rolling. My girlfriend lets me buy train stuff. When she doesn't know about it.sign1

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Darned youngsters! Our movies when I was a kid were old home movies that my mother insisted we watch over and over:curse: .

Hope your son takes to it.

Rick

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
You don't need to scuff plastic models with any abrasive. Just wash them in mild detergent and water and let them dry first. Then wear throw away latex gloves to handle the plastic while you paint so that you don't get oils from your hand on them. Some times it is easier to paint structures while the parts are still in pieces before assembly.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
I generally paint everything before assembly. It's easier to paint, and when you assemble, you're FINISHED!!!

A quark is one of those things some people with WAAAAYYYYYY too much time on their hands dream up....

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
steamhead said:
I generally paint everything before assembly. It's easier to paint, and when you assemble, you're FINISHED!!!

A quark is one of those things some people with WAAAAYYYYYY too much time on their hands dream up....

Great idea i have to get some in small for my son, that way the glue and the rest doesn't stick to him too. I picked up a couple bottles of paint and some brushes today.