Painting logs

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Les, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Les

Les New Member

I would like some suggestions about painting the HO Rivarossi logs to make them look more realistic. Cheers.
  2. nachoman

nachoman Guest

I would think the main problem is the logs are "too shiny".

The best solution, I would think, is to replace the logs with twigs from the yard.

Painting can have wonderful results - choose a paint color for the bark, and a lighter color for the log ends. Better yet, choose two colors for the bark - one slightly lighter than the other. Paint the outside of the log with the dark color, then drybrush with the lighter color to make the bark texture stand out.

3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I'm not familiar with these, but for painting any logs, like Kevin suggests, start with a dark base color, I would probably start with black acrylic, and get it in all the cracks, and let it completely dry. Then, as he says, dry brush a few different lighter colors on until you're satisfied. Start over again if you're not, I've redone things over and over again until I get the look I want. It is not a science.
  4. XavierJ123

XavierJ123 Member

I have replaced plastic logs with real logs/limbs. I was surprised how much weight was added. I wanted to pull a lot of cars and was concerned that the added weight would limit my train. Suddenly it dawned on me why the manufacturers use plastic. Duh? So I put the plastic back on without repainting. Now that I have read this thread I will paint the plastic logs to make them more realistic.