painting is a nightmare

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by sandu, Dec 30, 2005.

1. sandu

sandu Inactive Member

Following your posts i found a way to create a model from a mdl file used in flightsim. Painting it is another story. The texture files from the same source are not usable so i'm thinking about corel draw, but this means to learn about it starting from the absolut idiot level. My question is: can someone do with corel as you did with msq and rhino? tks!
  2. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I never got the hang of Corel myself, Adobe Photoshop came to me fairly quickly, although I am still on a learning curve there.
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

The reason the flight sim bitmaps are not usable is that they are probably saved in an unusual 'flightsim' compressed format. Go to for some splendid tools for manipulating these files. You should be able to open the sim files, then resave them in a standard format that you can edit.

Gosh, this takes me back a bit.....

Tim P
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Oh, and Corel is like any other program! As the Policeman said to the little grandma who asked how to get to Carnigee Hall, 'Lady, you gotta practise!'

You certainly can use Coreldraw, that is what I used for the Sea Fury on my tjpgraphics site, exhaust and gunsmoke stains, metallics included. That said, the work could have been done in ANY graphics package. You just have to stick at it, make some mistakes, scratch your head a bit, read the help files, check out appropriate tutorials on the web, even ask questions right here! There are more than enough experienced users of ALL of these programs just itching to spread their knowledge; it is far and away the best part of this site!

Tim P
  5. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

And there are also the Dummies books: I used the Photoshop 7 for Dummies book to repaint my Fly Model Surcouf: now just have to find spare time to build the thing!
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah I need one of those books...........but I have Photoshop 6 so I guess I need to check out the used book stores.

Tim......... if you have some of these flight sim planes, have you run them pepakura and made card models from them? How well did they turn out?

7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Bow, yes I did try, but the polygon count was way too high and Pepekura just choked on them. You really have to design the models for the purpose you require. The little meshes for that Blitzkrieg game are similar, they look great in the game but all the models I tried had parts passing through others, so the meshes wouldn't unfold into pieces that would join together. I thought it would take as long to alter them as start from scratch.

I ought to try and make a rhino-based paper model from the master file for the Sea Fury, but I just don't have the time at the moment. Story of my life....

Tim P

PS Happy New Year to all!
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Talking of 'for Dummies' books, I saw a 'American Citizenship for Dummies' book advertised somewhere; is this serious? My 'Irony' meter went off the scale, but I wondered if it might be genuine after all and my meter is faulty.... Can someone set my mind at rest?!

Tim P
  9. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I got two quotes for you guys................

Everything has a price.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Well I guess you could add

People will do anything for money.

Tim........ I was kinda afraid that there was a BIG catch to that process. No substitute for hard work.

11. sandu

sandu Inactive Member

getting the model from the mdl tipe file is OK if you convert to dsf then to lightwave. the texture files from these models can be converted to bmp(even if they are called af1, af2 ....and so on) with a program called dxtbmpx (free). My problem is, as you notice it, THE PRACTICE. All I need is an advice: wich program and how can I find out what are those buttons for. Pepacura saiz that they are too many poligons but you can select one part at a time from the list and before that aplying textures in that woderfull Metaseq le is very easy. So how can I do that magic that I saw on that Tempest?
  12. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I mostly use Coreldraw. It was really awkward for me to use at first but that was with version 4 or 5 and it was the first drawing program that I learned. I came into it with lots of drawing experience and had difficulty at first figuring out how to work traditional drawing skills with a computer. I don't know if this will be a problem for you.

I found that I can't do what are called gesture drawings on a computer also the automatic change from bitmap to vector produces something far to complex. I often start witha photograpn or I draw on paper and scan it. Then I import the image and put it on it's own layer and draw over the top of it. I usually start by placeing three vector nodes and then adjusting and adding until it matchs the shape that I want. I am now comfortable doing much of this without the original paper drawing. I often start with a circle, convert it to curves and then start adapting the shape.

When I started it helped to have a very simple task to work out. Start by drawing something simple. All squares and circles is easy. Organic shapes are more difficult. Drawing the human figure is hardest but also the most fun. I build drawings of people as if they were marionettes with arms and legs made of seperate shapes that I can move and adjust.
  13. sandu

sandu Inactive Member

So I decided for Corel 9. It was really cheap, unlike my time. After a few months of exercise and some results(to be presented to you all in the near future), I have two questions: How to make panel lines and rivet lines in Corel(9). Please be patient with me.
    Thank You
  14. Sumato

Sumato Member

I have wanted to build models from flightsim stock for years. One main problem seems that designers of virtual aircraft allow their geometry to intersect, such as wings joining to a fuselage. That is fine in the virtual world, but creates issues for designing a buildable physical model from them.
  15. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

16. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Once I retaught myself 3D modeling with this in mind everything became 'much' easier (as far as designing papercraft. The 3D became a more involved process as I could no longer simply set pieces inside each other but had to account for the exterior surfaces joining. This is why most free 3d models available on the internet are unsuitable "as-is" for papercraft.)