Painting details.

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by tetters, Feb 27, 2007.

1. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

Hey guys. Me again with more questions.

I picked up some small bells* for my Geeps from Mike's Minitures and need some advice on how to proceed.

Firstly, is there a way to find out what colour was used on the shell for my locos? For all intents and purposes the colour is grey. But is it more of a battle ship grey, gun smoke grey, or granite stone grey...the possibilities are endless I tell ya. The reason I ask is I would like to paint the mount for bell the same colour of the shell. Or is it a more of a mix and match kind of thing, trial and error? I suppose I could paint it a flat black or other subdued colour so that it does not stand out like a sore thumb on the front hood of the locos. I kinda want it to look like its always been there though.

Also, would brass be a good colour for the bell. I know some times the bells get painted especially the ones I've seen on modern locos. But I'd like mine to be brass. It will make my gals look classy.

I assume as well that since laquer thinner works so well as a cement on the p2k models that it should work wonders on cementing the bells to the loco shell. Correct?

Lastly, I assume its paint first then mount. This way I can avoid making a mess of the shell if I make a mistake right?

Thanks in advance gents. I always get good advice here.

*Thanks goes out to cn_nutbar for showing me where I could find the bells. With all of the options and parts on the site a man could go "nuts" detailling everything!
  2. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

3. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Shane, I'm not familiar with those bells, but if they're styrene, lacquer thinner will work. If they're metal, use c.a. If the bells are Delrin or a similar engineering plastic, good luck.:rolleyes: If you're using an airbrush to paint the bells, then paint first, install later, after removing the paint from the gluing surfaces. This is for either a plastic or metal bell. If the bell is Delrin, see my comments regarding gluing.:curse: If you're not using an airbrush, install the bells first, then use a suitably-sized brush to paint them. Floquil makes Brass paint, which is quite convincing. However, it's lacquer-based, so brush painting may allow it to "attack" the plastic.
    As for matching the grey paint on your locos, take one of them with you to the hobbyshop, so you can compare its colour to the colours available. Even though the paint in the bottle will dry either lighter or darker, at least you'll be able to see which one has a similar tint to it: some greys are bluish, others have a definite brown tone to them, and so on. Try to get a brand that's the same as paint that you already have, then you may be able to adjust the colour if necessary.