Painting and Making Handrails and Grab Bars

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Good Day all;
I'm to the point of 'dressing' my kitbashed engine. Sooo... Now I'm looking at paint schemes and colors. Since it is a freelanced line all schemes are open (with modification to keep theirs and mine apart
biggrin.gif
).
My questions being:
1. I think someone here mentioned using vinager. How long to soak and what type vinager to etch the handrails for painting?
2. In the 2000 Jan/Feb Issue of N-Scale on pg. 67 is a jig the author used to shape grapbars. Anybody make one like that, know where to get one, etc.? I want to make one, buy one, get one.

Thanks Ahead!
biggrin.gif

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Sir,

I bought a T Class Victorian Railways loco kit while away. It has a jig as part of the kit components for forming the handrails. Of the squillions of bits, I haven't yet worked out which piece is the jig, and which piece is the jog!!! It has a thingemee bob and a jigger maroose as well I think...
confused.gif
but I'll piece it all together!

TOOT!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Try .008 music wire. (go to a music store & get a .008 guitar string). Or you might find brass wire that size.
I'm not sure about the vinegar. It might work, or you could probably find some etching solution at a hobby store.
Micro-Engineering makes a weathering solution, & there's also something called "Hobby-Black" (?) & another one called"Etchant" (or something like that)

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts...

Good luck on the parts-a-ma-whose-its Woodie.

Charlie, I'm off to a local piano repair place on Monday.Haven't heard of the other stuff. Than again I haven't been Train'N long.

Good Health and rails;
Ken