painting and glueing

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
I built a building using styrene. Spraypainted it with tamiya paint from a can, and then when I went to glue another piece to it, the paint ran and it would not glue. I used plastructs liquid glue. How come people always suggest painting something before assembly, but when you do, its hard to get it to stay together and you usually end up smearing the paint? I spray automotive primer on everything first, is that ok? I have a airbrush, but when I attempt to spray paint styrene with a polyscale acrylic paint, the paint usually runs. I hardly dilute it with distilled water as recommended. What am I doing wrong?????:curse:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
csxengineer said:
...What am I doing wrong?????:curse:
You're probably getting paint on the glue surfaces. If you do, clean it off first. Some glues will stick to paint, but that's not as secure a bond as on the plastic. Liquid glue is not a glue but a solvent and will actually weld the plastic together therefore you need a clean surface to make any kind of bond using that.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Don is right about the gluing. Use the glue sparingly. As far as your paint running when you spray, you are putting it on too heavy, and it runs before it dries. Spray a very light coat of paint, and come back with another light coat if needed. Thinning the paint with denatured alcohol instead of water will help it to dry faster, but if you don't have a paint booth and can't spray outside with a respirator, it is safer to use water.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
With an airbrush or spray cans (I've used a lot of those), the paint should be nearly dry as it hits the surface of the model. I agree with Russ that it seems you are using way too much paint if it is running on the surface. Try several light coats - even if the first does not cover the surface entirely, the second or third will. One other indication that there's too much paint is that any surface detail is obscured.

Andrew