painting and decals

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by newbie_drifter, Dec 20, 2005.

1. What kind of paint do u need for painting? and decals i know where to get them but i want to buy stickers i want it on the car without putting sticker on it
  2. Darkshadow

Darkshadow Guest

Painting

Well for painting lexan bodies I use (Pactra Racing Finish).

As for the "i want to buy stickers i want it on the car without putting sticker on it."
    Do you mean you want to paint the car so that it looks like it has stickers but its really painted on?
    Or do you mean the stickers you can put on the inside of the body before you paint it?
    Im not sure what you mean by wanting to buy stickers to put on your car without putting them on your car. :? ?

As far as painting to look like stickers, thats all in how well you can mask off the car and how well you know how to paint inside out.
    For masking you can use tape :? , frisket :) , or my favorite liquid frisket :D .
    For somebody that has'nt been painting r/c bodies to long, I would sudgest the regular frisket. Wich looks like a clear piece of tape the size of a regular piece of note book paper. You draw or trace what ever design you want on to the backing or paper side of the frisket and then using a sharp X-acto knife cut out your design on the clear side (a light table makes this alot easier). The design you get will be reversed but thats what you need to paint r/c car bodies from the inside out. Put on your home made frisket stickers, all of them, before you start painting. then as you feel it nesissary to paint the design, peel and paint.
    And don't forget the window masking!!!

I hope this helps a little. :wink:
    Plus it helps to have a budy to point out his mistakes, so you don't repeat them.
  3. on the sticker thingy :lol:

its like u said
    "Do you mean you want to paint the car so that it looks like it has stickers but its really painted on?"

For the painting where do u get them? :?
    lol for the buddy thing u said i have no buddy to help me around cause i live in a small town in Cali called Crescent City and im pretty much the only drifter there :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry: :(
  4. Darkshadow

Darkshadow Guest

"For the painting where do u get them? " Get what?

Bodies: I get at my local hobby store, (Franks trains and hobbies)

Paint: I get at my local hobby store, (Franks trains and hobbies)

Liquid masking: You guess'd it, I get at my local hobby store, (Franks trains and hobbies)

Franks trains and hobbies, does NOT! have a online store.

So whare do you get them?

Try your local hobby store. If there is nothing local for you, then I guess you'll have to shop online.

As for sticker's, some of the body kit's out there have pretty sweet stickers to make the car's look like the real deal.
    And no matter how I paint my car's, I always use the sticker's for the window's, and light's.
    Some of the sweetest paint job's I've done were only two tone, some have three tone, and I have only done one four tone.
    Check out HPI's web site and look at there bodie's, alot of them are only single or two tone, with a kick arse sticky job.

And for being original. Just remember, it will take some time and a few r/c bodies before you get the results you may want. I've been doing this r/c thing for about 13 year's, and only in the past 2-3 year's are my paint job's starting to come out exactly how I want them.

Give the stickies a chance, you wont be disapointed. :wink:

And if you got any more questions, fire away. :)
  5. XXX main makes alot of cheesy graphic stickers but they also offer some blank sheets of carbon fiber sticker :) You can use the sticker on the hood, wing and anything else you want to look carbon.. :)

here is a link http://www.xxxmain.com/stickerz-all.shtml

Also Tower Hobbies has alot of stickers to.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=CHF

Usually I spend more time on the paint job and use less stickers. I like to go for the clean more realistic look. If you want it to look like pro Japanese drift car Yokomo and HPI have some really nice shells that come with a boat load of cool stickers.. :)

The yokomo cars have the most accurate and to scale bodies and graphics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]