painting a old model train

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by shibby, Jul 8, 2004.

1. shibby

shibby New Member

I have an old model train I would like to airbrush cause I am bored when I'm not out paintballing[​IMG]

its a old toy one I have had for about 8 years simple plastic bodies that can be taken off the main chassis

What kind of scale would this be? the wheel tracks are about 1 inch apart and the engine is about 2-3 inches tall and 7-8 inches long? (cant you guess I am new to this)

but anyway I want to paint it and all 4 other cars with it into some kind of theme like flames or maybe my website for r/c cars g-bilt R/C

what kind of paint is best for use in an airbrush? and whats the best kind of clearcoat?
  2. ddavidv

ddavidv Member

Not sure where you're measuring the track width, but I'd guess HO. However, before you paint anything, find out what you've got. I'd hate to see you paint up some rare American Flyer train that's worth $500. :eek:

If you've used an airbrush before, you know the paint has to be thinned down quite a bit. Any enamel will work. If you want to use a laquer, you're going to have to prime it with enamel first, as lacquer will eat most plastics. Virtually all hobby paints are enamel. I would stick with model car or train paints as they are better designed to work with airbrushes and plastics that are typically used. There are a lot of interesting colors in the model railroad line, but they are generally flat and not gloss paints. You can add gloss to them as a finish coat, however, and probably get the shine I think you are looking for.

Sacrilege to many on this site, probably, but customizing comes in many different forms. :cool: Look around here a bit at some of the modelling photos and you may get some ideas. Model RRing is a great hobby with many ought to give it a try. :thumb:
  3. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Hi Shibby,

Welcome to The Gauge...!

ddavidv has given good advice, including a quick check on what you really have before painting.

As for the flames - go for it! :cool: VIA Rail Canada has painted one of its locomotives with a Spiderman theme for the summer, so why not flames? For VIA, it could give the impression that the trains are going fast, when in fact they really aren't...;)

4. siderod

siderod Member

Watch that Andrew!!

VIA May not move fast, but at least we can keep trains moving! Doin better then Amtrak Already!

I think flames would look awesome, post some pics!

5. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Hey - I didn't say they weren't going, I just said they weren't going fast ;) Can you imagine how cool it would be to have a TGV-type train running in the Quebec City - Windsor corridor? You could do Ottawa to Toronto in under two hours!

6. shibby

shibby New Member

is there any place I can check if its an american flyer thing? or any links to a picture of one

I am pretty xperinced airbrusher and for some of my masking work on an rc car body check this chevy HD body I'm about to paint for my traxxas stampede[​IMG][​IMG]

how about water based polycarbonet paints like faskolor or createx paints they are flexable so I would guess they would work

also I have a pending project: maybe a under glow with LED lights[​IMG]
  7. siderod

siderod Member

Arrggg!! i hate the corridor!
    We had 2 F40's (rare, usually only 1) and 5 cars (also rare, usualy 8-10)...we were doing 90MPH and it STILL took us 5 hours! That was the 5 worst hours of the trip...actually, 10 worst...we took it from Montreal To Toronto twice, for maple leaf 2003.

A neon-kit on a train would be cool! Good idea

8. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Can you post a picture of the engine and cars? A shot of one side of each will do and we can tell you a little more about the trains. American flyer wheels will be 7/8-inch apart at the flange. They will each have a number painted on the side of the engine or car. Three digit before mid 1957 and five digit from '57 onward. Lionel stuff will also have a number on each engine or car and it will be larger in size. If you can't post a pic, tell us the numbers.

Once you know the relative value of the equipment you can make a better judgment about whether or not to flame 'em.

9. shibby

shibby New Member

I did some reaserch and I have concluded its not an american flyer dont know what it is exactly though its just some old simple one that was prolly bought at a toy store so I'm masking away at the windows then I'll pick out a flame design I like of the internet thanks for the help I will post some pictures when I'm done masking and painting

and prolly sometime I'll try and get a little more into this hobby cause it looks like a lot of fun just I have little space to put something like this in my house
  10. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

You should try "N" scale if you have limited space. You can ceate adn entire world in a 2foot by 4 foot space!

Have fun with the painting! Hope your train isn't an old MARX consist! Yikes!
  11. shibby

shibby New Member

well after more reaserch and comparing it to ones I have found I have concluded its a fairly old bachman maybe 9 or 10 years old prolly worth $40 at the most
  12. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I wouldn't worry much about the collector value of a Bachmann. An estimated value of $40 is very generous.

I hate to say never as far as collector value but I don't anticipate a Bachmann ever attaining much collector interest. And even if I thought there were potential I'm not sure I'd worry about it. Some American Flyer, Lionel, and Marx stuff is valuable, but the entry-level stuff (read: the toy store sets) for the most part have just kept pace with inflation, if that. I have a Marx set that retailed for $12.97 in the early '70s. I think I paid $40 for it last year.

I guess this is a long-winded way of saying that if I owned a Bachmann, and if I were any good at airbrushing (I'm not) and had desire to use that ability to paint one up to look nice, I'd just do it.