Painting a new UP GP9

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
Hello everyone, im painting a new Proto 2000 undec into the UP livery. I have already applied the Floquil Harbour Mist Grey to the entire body. Now its time to apply the Badger Armour Yellow. Will i have any trouble getting a water based paint to adhere to a petroleum based paint? I know Dino has talked about this before, but i cant find the thread. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
steve:wave:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Steve!:wave:, you have made an EXCELLENT choice in colors & paint manufactures:thumb: . those are the EXACT paints i use on my UP engines;):D. to answer your question, NO, there will be NO PROBLEM with adhesion:thumb:. MY advice: it might be overkill, but i wait 3 days between changing colors. WHY? you ask, i do this to make sure ALL of the solvents in the Floquil paint have evaporated out, remember it might be dry to the touch, but only when the solvents in the paint are evaporated out, is the paint TRULY DRY;). ALSO, after 3 days, no tape marks will be left in the color to be taped off;). Badger brand paint is an excellent paint for the Armor yellow:thumb: , it covers VERY QUICKLY, unlike many other brands of yellow:thumb: . the color match is quite good too:thumb: . i wish you the BEST of luck:thumb:, and be sure and post how it turns out:thumb: . :D -Deano