Discussion in 'Software' started by Darwin, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Darwin

Darwin Member

I am considering replacing my MetaCreations Painter and Painter 3D programs. The direct replacement would be Corel Painter 10.5, but I am wondering if it is enough of an improvement to be worth the investment. Body Painter seems to be impressive from the vendor literature, but I am getting sticker shock over its price. Is anyone familiar enough with these programs to advise whether (1) I should upgrade at all and put the money in additional RAM instead and, if yes, then (2) which program would prove the best investment? I would prefer being able to (in real time) paint directly on the 3D surface (like with Painter 3D) rather than having to unwrap the surface and use a 2D paint program.
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Are you referencing Maxon's BodyPaint 3D?

3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Wow, I can't paint in 2D, let alone 3D! Not with a PC anyway. When I paint a wall however, drips seem to be able to make the leap from the 2Dness of the wall to the 3Dness of the carpet JUST beyond the old sheets I've put down......

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  4. Darwin

Darwin Member

Yes, Gil...the BodyPaint 3D. As a rank amateur, I really have to wonder about the cost of the program giving enough value to make it worth while. I just wish there were some more affordable programs out there to chose from.
  5. Sumato

Sumato Member

I have used corel painter 9. I have not, however found a way to integrate it's features for the use of card model design. It's a great program, but if you are using it for card model design, I would suggest corel photo paint. It's cheap and it comes standard with any version of CorelDraw.
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

Body Paint 3D

Hi Darwin,

Body Paint 3D is a fairly recent introduction by Maxon. It follows in the footsteps of another very popular package called Deep Paint 3D. Both packages assume that you've already developed the polygon models which are imported into these packages to paint and texture. So the real question is do you want to get Cinema 4D which includes BodyPaint 3D. Another point to research is how to get the painted surfaces unfolded with the paint and texture still attached (I assume that's what you want to do). The only software I am aware of that does this is Pepakura...,

Best regards, -Gil
  7. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I use Coreldraw for designing cardmodels, and I use Corel Photo-paint for modifying photos of my models. Is this what you mean by Corel Paint?

I don't see much use for raster graphics in designing models, and prefer vector graphics. With vector I can repeatedly change size without any loss of quality. Vector graphics are called draw. Raster is usually called paint. Bitmaps can get added at the end of the design process for weathering or other textural details. The best know vector graphics programs are Adobe Illustrator and Coreldraw. I've tried both and seem to feel more comfortable with Coreldraw. It is probable because I like Corel's blend feature. It is supposed to help with fading from one shape to another, but I use it for creating multiple parts or for making the glue tabs on curved seams.

Coreldraw and Adobe Illustrator handle line-quality differently. I like both ways. Too bad I can't have both. I would love to put Corel's blends together with Adobe's handling of line. Line-quality iis an issue in making illustrations and not in designing models.

I don't like using many bitmaps within a drawing. They slow the program down and make it clunky. Adobe may have less of a problem with this, but I'm not sure. I try to save bitmaps for the end of the design process.

8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Any progress?

9. Darwin

Darwin Member

I think I'm leaning toward Cinema4D with the paint plugin, but am still having some trouble with the price tag, especially since my other half is insisting I get her a copy of Corel DraWings if I spend that much on a program for myself (at least hers I could deduct from the taxes, since she is a professional seamstress). Before I go overboard, I'm going to install the Cinema4D demo and spend some time playing with it. The more I look into it, though, the more I'm thinking I can live with Painter3D a bit longer. While I'm about it, any opinions about Amapi 7.5 Pro vs Cinema4D? The way Daz3D has been going bugnutz lately, I'm thinking they may come up with a deep-discount bargain promo for their aquisition of Carrara Pro like they have with Hexagon and Bryce.
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Enough to Make One a Crayon Doodler...,

Cinema 4D with Body Paint 3D is a nice package and should keep you busy. It seems to be a fairly straight forward package (German design) and is well intergrated with the 3D paint package. I haven't had enough time to really explore the depth of the 3D paint capability just yet but do want to look into further as it looks very inviting. Carrara Pro is also a very nice package but like Amapi 7.5 Pro I'm worried about long term support. Maya and 3D Studio Max are both produced by Autodesk so they'll probably be around for awhile as will Cinema 4D. Note that Body Paint 3D supports both of these packages which is a point of interest to ponder. I'm really not sold on any one package as each has its strengths and weaknesses. Rhino is the best of the best for model design but is totally lacking when it comes to getting paint onto a surface developed part. Other problems arise when NURBs are turned into meshes for UV mapping and painting (meshes can't be developed into a flat surface in Rhino). Yes, the output must then be put through lowly Pepakura to get an unfolded model WITH attached textures. Pepakura 2 is improved in that area and hopefully can handle additional polys before blowing up.

To summarize. the point is that Rhino alone isn't the total cat's meow when it comes to developing textured and painted cardmodels but neither are any of the other existing packages. Rhino does the best job for modeling structures that can be developed for cardmodels but the texturing and painting need to be finished in a 2D paint package after they've been surface developed in Rhino. 3D texture and painting is best done on a model developed by 3D Studio Max, Maya, Cinema 4D or Carrara followed by an unfold in Pepakura. Cumbersome? Troublesome? Error prone? It never did that before behaviors?

I think you'd probably like doing 3D models but Metasequoia with Pepakura can do a fairly impressive job by themselves as evidenced by the work of Webdude on his Disney Cars series. The cost is also very affordable and you can still color the unfolded surfaces using Corel or Photoshop. It's just that the bells and whistles on the high end packages look so good yet take so long to master well which adds another buying point to the list; "quality and quantity of tutorials for a beginner through professional does the application package have"? Tuts are absolutely required if you're going to autolearn any software.

Welcome to the wonderful World of 3D computer graphics...,

11. Gil

Gil Active Member

After Messing About a Bit...,

I've been looking over Cinema 4D. It seems to be the most balanced package in the market and has an excellent user interface. The ability to paint in 3D in the same package that you model in has some fairly obvious benefits. I'll keep you posted as I look further into it. You might want to take a look at the following website forums on C4D:

C4D Cafe

The recent release of Pepakura 2 is serendipitous and will probably have long term influences on cardmodeling design now that it supports texture layers Hopefully it also will support larger polygon counts. I haven't received a reply from Tamasoft regarding upgrading my version 1...,

Best regards, -Gil
  12. Gil

Gil Active Member

A Nice Site for the Eyes and C4D

The following site is fairly interesting. Most was done with C4D...,

The way in which the models are constructed is very different from the general method used in Rhino. The author first started designs using Wings3D.