Paint Shop Pro 5

Discussion in 'Software' started by pbhawkin, Jun 30, 2005.

1. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone uses this free program (or later versions of it) for recolouring or resizing?
    I would like a program that can open (not necessary to save as) PDF files as well. Maybe a plugin for PSP will do this?

2. david n

david n New Member

I have Paint Shop Pro 8

Bought it at Target a year or so back for working on my web site. I think it works well enough for me. The nice thing is that you can open PDF's or other formats, then save as something else like JPG, etc.

I used PSP8 to remove some of the insignias from a few Fiddlers Green colored models, and also to color in some of the black and white versions.
  3. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Peter

I use Paint Sop Pro 7 and find that it has everythng I need to muck about with all my models, scales, colour changes, drawing, import/export, design and loads more.
    Never had a problem that could not be worked out with it, but that is just my opinion.

I do use MS Paint for quick changes and the odd touch up when kits have the white spots of miss print.

If you can get it free try it out.

Have fun

4. Maurice

Maurice Member

Hi Peter and David and welcome to the forum.

As with Rob, PSP7 does all I want in graphics.
    Early versions of PSP can't open .pdf, however in Adobe Reader 7 you can go to
    check "Use fixed resolution for snapshots"
    and set Resolution to a worthwhile number of pixels/inch as the mood takes you. It will capture at that resolution irrespective of size on screen. Makes a reasonable job of it.

Also the right combination from
    can open and convert .pdf, and for free. It does a good job of it (but check the exact dpi of the image when you open it in PSP).
    Don't be put off by the apparent complexity. Just make sure you instal in the right folders, open the .pdf and go to File/Convert to make your selection.

If the the .pdf is locked but can be printed use one of the printer emulators to generate a more amenable .pdf.
    I recommend Win2PDF from
    because the free demo works well but just adds an extra page with a tag line which can be ignored. There are others.