Paint Removal

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
This thread is related to the decal removal thread I posted as it deals with the same caboose. How do I strip the paint that I used on the caboose? The paint is Polly Scale and was sealed with Testors Glosscoat.

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
Brake fluid is a good paint stripper on most plastics, however, try a small area first, perhaps inside, to see if it attacks the plastic. I have never had this happen. I submerge the entire thing and let it work, then wash with water and soap, dry completely and then repaint. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
For most plastics I use Polyscale ELO "Easy Lift Off" paint remover. A lot of people have had good luck removing waterbased paints with Alcohol. For brass I use PineSol.

Dan

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Tom, Consider this.....Since Polly Scale paint goes on so thin you may just be able to re-prime and re-paint with out any loss of detail at all. Might be worth a try.:)

Dan & Micheal.......About the Pinesol......do you dilute it or use it straight......I use lacquer thinner to strip brass. Sounds like the Pinesol might be less "offensive":D

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Everyone thanks for the suggestions.

Vic I thought about just repainting. The problem is that this was my first attempt at airbrushing and I did a lousy job. There are several areas where there are big ugly run marks and I am not sure how well I can cover them up.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Well I dug through the garage tonight and found some brake fluid. I put that ugly caboose in there before basketball tonight. When I came home afterwards I found it ready to strip. Took a toothbrush to it and ten minutes later the paint was gone. There was no damage to the plastic either.

Now I am going to try it on a couple of cars that some guy sold me as undecorated. They were not. He spray painted them black and called them undecorated.

pcentral

Jul 17, 2002
Central California
Visit site
Hi Gang,
I have been doing alot of paint removal lately and asked around for what to use before I started and ruined something. Several people said use laundry detergent and water. I tried this first with a postwar Lionel tank car I am restoring for a customer. After about 15 minutes, the silver paint wiped off for the most part. The phosphorus in the detergent is the stripping agent. I am also stripping some vintage Plasticville that the laundry suds wouldn't cut through, in TSP. This cleaner is used for cleaning walls and cabinets before painting. Either of these is easier and cheaper than any commercial paint stripper you can buy. Steve