Paint Removal Products for Plastic?

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Is there anything out there that does a reasonably good job of removing paint and/or decals from plastic models without destroying the details in the plastic it's self? Most strippers are highly costic and will do as much damage to plastic as it does paint. I just wondered if there is a solution for this?

doctorwayne

Methyl hydrate was my paint stripper of choice, but many of the newer paints seem almost impervious to it. If you have older Athearn, MDC, or Train Miniature to strip, it works well. I've also heard that Pine Sol is effective, but I've not tried it. Polly Scale Easy-Lift-Off works well, and although it's quite pricey, it seems to go pretty far since you're not supposed to immerse the cars in it. I brush it on with a paint brush, let it "work" for a while, then rinse it off with methyl hydrate.

Wayne

CCT70

Pine-Sol works great, just don't let it soak any longer than necessary. If using Alcohol, use 91%. Otherwise, you're just spinning your wheels.

doctorwayne

Brake fluid works on some paints, but it can also damage some plastics quite rapidly. I lost an Atlas switcher shell, :cry: which became severely distorted, although it did also remove the paint.:rolleyes:

Wayne

shaygetz

Pine-Sol---original formula, not the scented ones. Works great and can be used incrementally, like if you only wanted to remove lettering. Just daub the area with a Q-tip, then after a few minutes lightly scrub the area with the same Q-tip, changing frequently.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
I'm a big fan of the Chameleon paint strippers. Totally plastic safe, non-toxic, and very effective. Just hard to find.

Peter Witt 2424

Paint Removal

I have only been a member a short while "Thanks to Bill Robb" and have been reading all the messages. On Paint strippers I have tried them all, and the Best one by far is CHAMELEON MODEL PAINT STRIPPER. He has a web site but here is a phone number (410)287-9496 P.O. Box 2080 Noth East MD.21901 It is a joy to work with I have used it for the past 4 years.
Don
Chilliwack B.C.

CCT70

Just don't let the shell soak in Pine-sol for any longer than necessary. I lost an Athearn F Unit shell when I let it soak for 3 hours. It turned the plastic to rubber.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Thanks again, everyone!
I'm not sure if I'm going to do it yet, but my Norfolk & Western Beep may become undecorated soon.

shaygetz

CCT70 said:
Just don't let the shell soak in Pine-sol for any longer than necessary. I lost an Athearn F Unit shell when I let it soak for 3 hours. It turned the plastic to rubber.

I noticed that on one of my shells(can't remember the brand). When I rinsed it off and allowed it to air dry, it came right back. Weird...

jbaakko

I left an Athearn SD40T-2 in Pine-sol over night trying to remove some stubborn dry transfer lettering and it did not warp the shell.