paint and decal remover

Discussion in 'Product Review Forum' started by sumpter250, Sep 24, 2005.

1. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I've had a chance to use "Joe's Model Trains" paint and decal remover. It is a heavy bodied, water base, fairly slow acting remover. I used it to remove the balck numbers from athearn reefers, so I could renumber them. It took several applications to completely remove the black, but did not cause any detecable damage to the yellow body paint. On a 1-10, it takes a little patience, but I'd give it 9. They have other info on

2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Were the Athearn numbers decals, or the "stamp-printed" type? I am looking for something to remove the painted type.

3. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

They were printed on.
    One of the tricks with the paint and decal remover, is to use a cheap paint brush (the Testors, plastic handled type), and cut the bristles short ( 3/16" - 1/4"), and use as a mini scrub brush. Helps get the lettering out of the joints between the cast siding. Patience is still a good accessory, well used.
  4. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Thanx for the link, Pete; it looks like great stuff!
  5. csiguy

csiguy Member

Joed Model Trains Pain/decal Remover

Hi All

Just Got A Bottle Of That Joes Model Trains Paint/decal Remover Today. This Stuff Is Awsome It Works Beter Than Anything Ive Ever Used. It So Easy To Work With Too