Packing up the trains...temporarily

cpr_paul

My wife and I have put in an offer on a little bungalow in the Birchcliff area...feels good to be finally moving into a house.

The bad news...the trains have to be packed up, and my little shelf layout pulled apart. Good thing I didn't get too far along with it. New spending will also have to be curtailed for a while.

The good news...The new house has an unfinished basement! It won't fit my dream layout, but it should give me enough space eventually for something more substantial than what I have now!

cpr_paul

Yep...I'm already thinking about where to put the train room. Figure I can do at least 10'x8' somewhere in the basement. Of course, it may have to wait until I dig out the basement a bit - only have 6' ceilings in there right now.

Still waiting for the signback - hope they accept our offer!

shaygetz

Model Railroaders don't buy houses, they buy basements with a 3 bedroom, 2 bath roof:p Congratulations on your new layout...er...home:D

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Be sure to alocate the right amount of time to the planning building process as so many other attention getters will keep getting in the way like grass cutting gardening and of course any required re-modeling and painting or job jar chores.

cpr_paul

Thanks everyone - our offer has been accepted. I just have to get the financing in order, and we're all set.

The wife has already agreed to a nice-sized train room in the basment:D Just have to work out the details...probably looking at 12'x10'. Good thing I'm in N gauge!

rsn48

Remember a 10 by 8 in N scale is an empire. If you go for modern stuff, SD90's, and the new longer cars like Red Caboose Center Beam cars, automax's,etc are the same lenght, but not height and width as F units and 40 box cars.

The new N scale stuff looks more like TT. So you can run the CP SD90's with the golden rodent, and great stuff like that (SD60's, etc).

spitfire

Congratulations Paul! What a great feeling it must be. Here's wishing you smooth sailing with the financing, and happy digging with the basement LOL!

:D Val

interurban

Big Lay Out a coming

Yes Sheygetz 10 +=12 is an N scale empire.

Tho art a Lucky Duck:D :D :D
Where in Birchcliff are you going to be Paul????
And I hope to see you all at the Toronto show:)

Pooh Bah
Paul:
One of our club members has a layout in his crawl space which he made by digging out the AISLES only. The layout sits a couple of feet above the original concrete floor. Requires a lot of advance planning, especially as he redesigned the whole thing about 10 years ago.
(He's on some tours at Maple Leaf 2003.)
Get the walls and ceiling in before you start on the layout. It delays the layout, but that makes more incentive to finish the basement!
Do the stairs come down in the middle of the basement, or off to one side? In the middle lets you get a nice around the walls design.

cpr_paul

Re: Big Lay Out a coming

Originally posted by interurben
Where in Birchcliff are you going to be Paul????
And I hope to see you all at the Toronto show:)

We're going to be at Warden Ave. and Kingston Rd., NE quadrant. I'd like to go to the Toronto show, but may have to go up to Sudbury that weekend...

60103 - we have 6' ceilings in the basement, which is okay, but a little awkward (I'm 5'10"). The stairs come down in a corner of the basement. I won't be using the whole basement for the railway...I've got a space at the back in mind, I'll try to post some pics/plans once I work out the details.