packing action on a small O gauge Layout

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Some people say that O gauge is just too big to have fun with on an inside layout. You know what I mean it takes up too much room and not enough action. I have found that this is so far from the truth that I often wonder if they just don’t like the big trains.

After an 8-month struggle to complete my layout I have come to the point that I am 95% done. To be truthful if I didn’t have so much storm clean up to do it would be 100% done this weekend. I was able to pick up some of the missing buildings and accessories I want over the past two weeks.

My daughter put the last portal in place today and plans on reworking the mountain to make a better look and feel to it. I have to wire the country freight station along with the oil pump since she has now found their appropriate places.

So what does a 9 X 5 “O” gauge layout offer? To be exact it gives you four dedicated mainlines to run four three engines and their consist in circles all day if you want. The four is a line for a bumper trolley. If your not into circles then you can use the bottom two main lines for switching action that includes movement between the mainlines and two small yard tracks.

There is enough interesting structures to keep most people happy and even includes two operating ones. There is a spot for another operating structure for future expansion once she decides if what she wants. There are roads cars, trucks, signal towers, people, cows, barn, split rail fence, lighted buildings, lighted railroad crossing with sound, signal lights, tunnels, bridges, elevated tracks and a lot of train action.

This layout has a lot of trains. The SPOT LIGHT Line is the Canadian National Road that includes two diesels engines pulling a consist of 10 100 ton hoppers. The second Road is led by the PRR again led by two engines and a consist of 15 mixed freight such as tank cars and boxcars. The third Road again is the PRR led by the powerful Aerotrain diesel pulling a 5-car passenger consist. Two steam engines and tenders set on in the rail yard along with 6 mixed freight cars. The there is the country trolley that makes regular stops for those want to get to the city. So that is a total of 44 individual trains all on a 9X5 layout. The number could go up drastically since the Aerotrain could be replace by another 15 car consist.

[FONT=&quot]So don’t sell O gauge action short for having action on a small-scale layout.[/FONT]
  2. Robindale Station

Robindale Station New Member

Renovo - Hi. Your layout sounds great! Any chance that you could share a photo with the trains in action? I'm looking for some inspiration!

3. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Wow... It sounds like the layout has really grown since I check in on the board last. I definately want to see some new pics!
  4. hilldrum

hilldrum Member

That's a lot of consits an action on that small area! My plans are to Build an O-Gauge layout in a 40x12' mobile home. Possibly using the entire length of the house by knoking down all the walls. If you can do all of that in such a small area, I can only Image what I would be able to do. I hope I can pull all of that off in a year or less. I'm in the planning stage now though. BTW: did you use a backdrop?

5. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

They've got an awesome little video of it in this link...
  6. Robindale Station

Robindale Station New Member

Trainnut, thanks for the link to the video. Renovo, Wow! That's a great layout! Thank you for sharing the video. I'm always forgetting that I can elevate when planning out layouts. Your layout is a good reminder to keep the trestles in mind. ... By the way, are those MTH trestles you are using? If so, did you have to modify the fastrack in anyway to use them?

7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I will have to post a full day light one this weekend. I have been pretty busy and keep forgetting to do that.

Everything on the elevated is MTH. There were too many modifications I would of had to make to use Fast Track. The problem is that MTH Real Trax sucks but MTH has the best trestles and bridges.