P2K Canadian National Fa1,2 questions

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I'm looking into buying an Proto 2000 Fa unit. I know the an FA-1 was built in the older CN green/gold scheme. Did life-like make an FA-2 in the same era paint? What are the detail features of the shells, I've never seen one up close and I can't seem to find any good pictures. are there see-through grills, what is the lighting like? opening doors? ect.
Thanks for any help.

F

Fred_M

The P2K FA2 has see through grills, contant brigthness directional lighting (on DC), and a semi detailed cab with crew. It has fine detail down to scale looking wipers. No doors open. It has a nice motor with two large brass flywheels and runs really nice and smooth with great low speed running. A bonus on these is the the cooling fan is operational via a belt off of a flywheel and is very visible through the fan cover on the roof of the units. They are nice machines for the money. Fred

F

Fred_M

I can only can speak about the Fa2s firsthand. I have never seen a 1. Fred

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Glen,
Trainworld has the FA-2 A/B for 49.99 right now, I just got me a NYC set, can't beat the price, both powered. If you get the FA-1 set and need to get rid of the B unit e-mail me, I would be interested in it.
They also have the FA-1 sets for the same price.
I don't know if they have CN, you would have to call them, their website is hard to navigate, I never found what they have available as far as roadnames, I just call.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Unfortunetly the Canadian roadnames are only readily available in Canada, done by Hobbycraft Canada. So I doubt that trainworld would be carrying them. I really don't want to repaint it since it already comes in the paint I want and the cost of paint and decals would push it over the price of what I can get the FA-1 for. I'd actually perfer to have an FA-2 but I might just settle for the FA-1.
I still want to know about the fans on the FA-1

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I got my FA-1 today.Thanks for all the help. It does hove opening cab and diaphram doors which I think is pretty neat. It's circling my layout as I speak and its the quietest engine I have (everything else is athearn) The detail it amazing with even the fan visible through a photo-etched grill!