P-K Acquires L&N #99

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Thanks guys.

Yup, the first shot was 2 1/2 sec and the next ones were 10 sec, all F8 ISO 50, regular flourescnet lighting. No adjustments after the fact except crop/resize, and the first one I did some magic to finish some unfinished foam and to extend the backdrop :D

The gondo is an old tyco cheapie and I have 6 or 8 more to batter. I basically took a heated scribe and gouged it up and heated the plastic to press in the dents. I burned through and had to "weld" in the patch in the middle. Weathering is covered here:

http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3849&highlight=*johnny*

By the time you add decent trucks, wheels and couplers, there probably isn't a huge savings over using a newer quality gondo, but it's a lot easier to take a micro torch to the $2 ebay special!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Great stuff Jon!
Love the locos & rolling stock (especially that banged-up gon :cool: )
Your trackwork & scenery look fantastic! :thumb:

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Thankyou fine gentlemen. I moved this over tp photography, because it started as a looky at what I bought thread, and turned into me thinking out loud about photography and sharing my experimental photo's.

I bought some 150 watt hallogens to experiment with. First off, I shot a set of pics with the same overhead flourescents as last nights rounds, same settings, but 3.2, 5 and 8 seconds exposures. I thought 10 seconds was too bright. Here is the 8 sec., which I thought was best on my monitor.

Attachments

• pict0002.jpg
    pict0002.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 91

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Now I set up the two halogen lamps, and tried different white balance settings. All are at two sec exp time. I did 12, and 4, but the 2's look best to me. This on is with the setting left at "Flourescent". BTW, the overhead flourescents are left on in addition to the flood lamps.

Attachments

• fl.jpg
    fl.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 84

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Thankyou, Drew, that's good to know, because I'm slightly color blind (no joke). Also my monitor was getting real bad. I've spent most of the weekend rebuilding my old PC, had a catastrophic fail, one power supply and both hard drives are as dead as it gets. One drive let out a cloud of smoke after I replaced the power supply! Anyway, I plugged my newer linux machine in it's place, and with it's higher resolution, I soon realized how poopy my old monitor was getting, completely out of focus and faded. I've reassigned it to the shop for testing and building PCs. RIP. Now I can see the pictures!

Better get out the weed killer that hillside really took off:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think it was the light :D :D :D