P-40C Flying Tigers

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by gnAsher, Jan 14, 2008.

1. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Following cguztmer's footsteps, I have also completed the P-40C from paperaircraftwerks. I took a deviation though and built it wheels up and spinning prop. I also managed to get Gemirs pilot in the plane.

One thing though, the canopy is designed to be open (at least I couldn't make it look good closed), so we have caught Captain Neckless just after he spots a column of enemy trucks and is pulling his canopy closed and turning into an attack run!

I scratch built the stand and stuck on the blood chit and flying tiger emblem just for good measure. The wheel up mod was easy to do, though I needed to do some research into how the wheels folded into the bays. Overall it's been a fun build, good fit (bad builder), and good instructions. Thanks go to cgutzmer for showing me (us) how to curl the wing tips round the former!

Attached Files:

2. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Nice build and display!
  3. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

That's an excellent build. The Flying Tigers have always been of special interest to me so I think thisun will be going on my todo list.

Nice job, Andreas.
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Spectacular! You did a great job on those wing root fillets and fairings (I forget the name again - the bulbous things on the wings) Glad I was able to offer some help on it :)
  5. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Excellent! I definitely need to get back to my build. Where did you get the pilot?
  6. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Here's the direct link.
  7. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Good job on the plane!
    Pilot figures really add "life" to the model and I'm glad to see one of John's little guys get some action :thumb:
  8. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Thanks for the link, Dan. And thanks Michael for offering the pilot.
  9. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Thanks guys! I wanted to do a model "in action" with a spinning propeller, and of course that would need a pilot. Thanks Dan for answering rmks2000's question and yeah, thanks from me too to Michael for providing the pilot. It is quite poseable as I found half way through my build! However, I forgot to put on the collar and glued the head direct to the torso, hence Capt. Neckless!

Chris, the bulb things went surprisingly well, I just followed the advice I got on the forum!:mrgreen: It's a matter of grit your teeth and muster up the patience to do it.

Nemesis7485, I too have some affection for the Flying Tigers. I used to have a leather jacket to which I sewed the "Blood Chit" to the back. Later I found the matching shoulder patch, and had it sewn on. But when I returned to Hong Kong and 1997 rolled by (British -> Chinese), wearing a Nationalist flag on my back was a little too uncomfortable!

I now have to go back to lurking mode,:cry::cry::cry:! I have started "school" again and the workload is pretty tough with working full time as well. Even the modelling have been put on the shelf until summer break:eek:! Sigh! Roll on June!:cry:
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Awwww... I can't show this great build on Chinese forums... >_< But... wait, let's see... we could change that flag to, um... Say, the Chinese air force :D