Overhead Transparency and PAPER

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Shin_kazama, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

how do you guys get these two to stick?

what type of glue(check availability in philippines) do you experto's use?

i tried CA, still comes clear off.

i tried elmer's, no stick.

so what i use then?

i have done clear canopy replacements using transparency in plastic models, what i do is when i cut my canopy i leave little legs.

then on the plastic model, i drill small holes, same diameter as the canopy pegs.

then i melt(yes using a solder iron) together carefully the model body and some of the canopy pegs..

now that technique cant be done in paper...

so what do i use?
  2. I would like the answer to that myself. I found that caky glue works best but it too will let go is you pull hard enough. That is my solution, but I would like to see a better one. The upside of the tacky glue is that you can carefully clean off any residue that gets on the windows.

NULLMOON Member

i use evo-stick contact glue works great i used this on my x-1 cockpit
  4. Paladin

Paladin Member

You know, I was using transparencies for a while, when I could get it to work, then I started making formed canopies instead. Someone on this site had a little tutorial on making canopies using plastic pop bottles. I can't remember who it was, but I can tell you how I do it now. Works every time for any model I make.
  5. Dave Treby

Dave Treby Member

Slivers of double-sided tape works well, as long as you are precise enough fixing it to the paper
  6. sakrison

sakrison Member

If you can find it, Testors makes a plastic cement especially for clear canopies. That should work on some clear films. Ordinary plastic model cement (the tube kind, not the liquid kind) might work, too, depending on the type of plastic film. I use a rubber-based (?) glue called "Weld-Bond" that I've found at most hardware and craft stores. It seems to stick to just about anything, dries clear and flexible, and sets slowly enough for adjustments (a stable bond in a minute or so, maximum bond in 24-36 hours).

You're correct; white glue and CA don't work well on transparency sheets.
    I learned that the hard way.

No worries,
  7. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Alene's tacky glue. Works every time.
  8. sakrison

sakrison Member

We must be using different kinds of transparency film. When I use Alene's Tacky Glue to glue paper to clear plastic, the bond usually fails with minimal handling, or sometimes with no handling at all.

NULLMOON Member

bostick evo-stick contact glue
  10. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Interesting, you may be right on the transparency paper. I pick mine up at Office Depot. I built the Subaru WRX with clear transparency windows and all is well a year from when I built it. Let me see if I can get the brand name for you.
  11. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

did that on claudio's tumbler, made a big mess.
  12. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

roger null. will try.

would it work for plastic bottle material too??
  13. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

dont we all?

let me see if its available in my country...

NASA uses this on escape suits?

14. md10bldr

md10bldr New Member

15. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

16. Dell_Zantoz

Dell_Zantoz New Member

My post is out of reference here, but it's good to know a "kabayan" is also a member. Just saying hi from New York.
  17. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

clear acetate

I have used most of the named glues mentioned and I stumbled on another technique. If the canopy is flat like on a ME-109 or P-40, or Warhammer items then the following might work.

I use White stick-on labels and I used three techniques.

1. I cut strips and glue them to the acetate both outside and inside, that way it gives me something to hold so I can use my White or tacky glue.

2. I cut the canopy frame out on the sticky label and stick it to the clear acetate and trim out the edges of the frame and fold to shape.

3. This is the hardest one, because I then draw the canopy frame out on the label, stick it to the acetate and trim out carefully the excess. But it tends to leave behind a gummy residue that you then have to clean out.

Here are a few pics of the procedures

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      File size:
      154.4 KB
    • 002.jpg
      File size:
      103.9 KB
    • 003.jpg
      File size:
      106.5 KB
    • 004.jpg