Overhead power lines(simulated)

sidneylopsides

Jul 11, 2005
Leeds, UK
www.se-nse.com
Does anyone sell something like these, or has anyone got a good way of making them?
The layout I want will involve alot of overhead power lines, but I haven't so far seen a good way of making these. I am assuming that they will all be dummy lines, so a cheap way of replicating the look would be good. :)

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I think it would be hard to clean the track with power lines running over the tracks. It would look cool, but keep in mind that you will have to clean the track.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I think that there is no British image overhead (a.k.a. catenary) available. You may find some continental stuff.
We had a thread started on building some US style catenary -- don't remember if it ever finished.
Interurban has a clinic on streetcar style overhead; not quite what you want; his woks.

sidneylopsides

Jul 11, 2005
Leeds, UK
www.se-nse.com
Catenary is the real name for it?
I hadn't thought about how it would make cleaning harder. Hmm. I've noticed track cleaning locos on ebay, do they actually work? Even if only a little, I'm sure a regular run would reduce the time needed before a proper clean, making it a bit less daunting.
I don't need a working set, it's just to look right for the layout :)
Thanks for the replies :) Seems a really nice forum here.

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
Check out this for very cool power lines, from Berkshire Junction...

Charles

(I know they're not catenaries, but I'm sure they could be used as such with all the same advantages during cleaning and other work).

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
Sommerfeldt Makes some nice European cantary items: http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/erh/sommerfeldt.asp they also make a book on how to create a realistic looking cantary system.

As for cleaning, it's not a real problem, get a track cleaning car like the CMX Clean Machine that tony's carries: http://tonystrains.com/technews/clean_machine.htm this will elimitae most of the need to get in on the track (there will be spots that need hand cleaning).

The big deal with lot's of overhead wires is how you replace the cars on the track when a derailment occurs, but if you lay your track well and terst it throughly before placing the cantaries, this shouldn't be too much of a problem

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Sideny: If you go to a dictionary you find that catenary is the form taken by a rope or such hung from 2 points.
What happens is that they hang a cable from the supports and then drop other wires from it to hold the contact wire as close to dead level as they can. Sometimes there's a third wire in between to get it smoother; some RRs (New Haven? Pennsylvania?) made theirs in a triangle with 2 catenary wires supporting one contact wire.