Overhead Crane

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
That was a fantastic full moon we had last week! Thanks for the pic!

I tried to take a picture of it, too, but all I could get with my cheap little digital camera was a white dot on a black field. :( I thought it would have been cool to use some images of the rising moon as a digital backdrop for some layout photos...

-Rory

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Great picture upguy!
I was thinking along the same line as Rory -
That would be an ideal backdrop for a winter scene!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
OK, back to the crane -
While we were discussing the weather, I managed to get it assembled, & painted. Here's a couple of pics...

Attachments

• mvc-021f.jpg
    mvc-021f.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 93

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Here's a shot of it sitting on the layout.
I think I'm going to build some kind of little shanty to house the operator.

Attachments

• mvc-018f.jpg
    mvc-018f.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 89

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Here's an overhead view that might be a little better.

Attachments

• mvc-017f.jpg
    mvc-017f.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 83

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Charlie, great job, that looks like it actually runs and is a working model. Wished I had the room I would copy and install one on my layout. Charlie, did you make the lattice support beams or can that be purchased. I have seen it for larger scales but nothing close to N scale as you show.

Bill

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks for the compliments Guys!
Tyson, I've never really thought about building one for anyone else. In fact, that's the only one I've evr built! I did have to build it to fit my space.
Bill, all the components I used were actually HO scale. The I beams, "legs", & X-bracing all came from an HO Kibri cement plant. The box girders that form the top of the structure are part of a set made by Central Valley, & are really scaled more for HO, but I used the smallest ones in the set. The "motors" are part of the air-brake system I salvaged from an HO freight car.
I got the idea for this crane after seeing one at a local factory that fabricates metal pipe. The real one is even larger than the one I built, & has corrugated side walls & a roof. I wanted mine to be open, so it wouldn't block the view of other scenes on the layout. I'm not sure how acurate, or credible the model is, since I had to guess at a lot of it, incase of you are industrial engineers! :eek:
Me?...I'm just an N-gineer! :D