Overhauling A Varney Coal Hopper

C&O Fan

After aquiring this Varney coal hopper project at a train show a few days ago, I could not wait to tear into it! As aquired, it still has its brass loop and hook couplers. Also, it is missing one truck, brake wheel, and end brake appliances. Although the end bracing detail is kind of crude, but it should be ok. Here is the car before disassembly:

Attachments

• Varney Hopper.jpg
    Varney Hopper.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 213

C&O Fan

I have removed the truck, frame, and couplers from the body. It appears that frame had sections cut away so that the old couplers were attached to the body. The couplers were attached with 2 screws and white glue. they were not hard to remove. The frame was removed by removing the 2 screws that attached it to the body. Next, the ladders will be removed and the body and frame will be cleaned.

Attachments

• Varney Hopper3.jpg
    Varney Hopper3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 209

C&O Fan

Ladder removal was not hard at all. They were pushed in place with 4 pins. The pin holes will be filled in, and I will use drop style grab irons from A-Line in their place. The body cleaned up well in the bath of Dawn and water. One interesting note, after cleaning, I found the old lettering for Erie railroad and number 20048. I plan to make this car into a Chessapeake & Ohio 50 ton hopper of the 300500-300511 series.

Attachments

• Varney Hopper4.jpg
    Varney Hopper4.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 207

doctorwayne

I still have a couple of these cars, relettered for my own railway. They're in regular service as open hoppers, although one of them was the covered hopper version when I got it about 50 years ago as part of my first HO train. Other cars received that Christmas included a Varney metal boxcar, a Roundhouse cast metal gondola, a Varney plastic tank car, an Authenticast depressed-centre flatcar, an Athearn metal 50' flatcar, and a Silver Streak wooden SP caboose. Motive power was an A-B-B-A set of Globe F-7s, with one of the A-units powered by a single Lindsay power truck. The Athearn flat and the caboose are stored unserviceable, and the diesels were sold years ago. All of the other cars are in service on my current layout. Here's a picture of that Authenticast dc flat.

100_5410.jpg

Wayne

Glen Haasdyk

I have the same Varney hopper in my junk box. It ran on my layout until some glue fatigued and a truck fell out and apart. I just never got around to fixing it, maybe I will now that someone else is working on one.

C&O Fan

That's a great looking DC Flat there. I have a MDC metal gondala in my collection as well. A lot of the older models do have a lot of potential.

C&O Fan

I have installed all of the grab irons to the car body. I decided to go with Athearn trucks with Kadee wheel sets. They appear to be the closest match to those in a photograph of one of the prototypes. After another washing with Dawn, it will be ready for the paint shop. I temporarily reinstalled the frame and trucks.

Attachments

• Varney Hopper5.jpg
    Varney Hopper5.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 170

Drew1125

Looks like you breathed some life back into that one Steve!
Nice work!
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

COX 47

Nice job Steve..Varney had some pretty fair box cars and gons too also a interesting bay window caboose I rebuilt one a few years back..Jerry

C&O Fan

Small update today. I got the body painted this morning and will wait a couple of days for it to dry completely. I ordered some decals from Champ and Walthers, and they arrived yesterday. i'll start with them after the body dries.
Cox: I have one of the Varney cardboard boxcars in my collection. I plan to update it with an Athearn chassis, and Branchline details. Thanks everyone for the good comments. :)

C&O Fan

Painted and decaled. I used a mixture of Microscale and Champ decals:

Attachments

• Varney Hopper6.jpg
    Varney Hopper6.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 97