Over at the engine house

C

Catt

This is a scan of the front of my new 0n30 engine house.

0n30engho.jpg

It is being built using the Bachmann HO scale "Car Repair Shop"

What I've done so far is raise the fondation 18" and the tops of the doorways another 12".(all measurements are 0 scale) I had concidered shortening the building but would have to give up the skylites and don't want to do that.

By the way this will be fronted by a Helgan HO turntable modified for 0n30. :D

C

Catt

Phase two

Raising the door openings meant new roof trusses needed to be made.This pic shows the stock Bachmann unit and one of my my new scratchbuilt units.

joists.jpg

The Bachmann piece is taller than the new part.Since I am detailing the interior of the building I will be needing 5 of these (Bachmann provides 3).

3M makes a removable poster tape that is one of the best scratchbuilding aids I have ever come across.The tape is sticky on both sides and transparent.You simply secure your pattern to a flat surface apply the tape where you need to put the pieces/parts and start gluing.When the glue sets up slide something flat between part and pattern and start the next piece. :D

C

Catt

A couple pix of the underconstruction enginehouse.

ehouse1a.jpg
ehouse2a.jpg

Lots to do yet,but it now has 4 walls standing.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Super looking rafters Catt. Sure makes it look realistic.
Too bad you have to cover them with a roof.

alkcnw

Hey Catt, Did you close in the back doors or just keep them closed? Its kind of hard to tell from the photo! Also you should be able to see those rafters just fine through the skylights.:eek:

Drew1125

Hey Catt!
It's lookin' great!
I think a removable roof would be a cool idea...one of the advantages of modeling in a larger scale is that you can do all kinds of detailing, like interiors.
You could have machine tools, workbenches, etc...

Oh... & don't forget the interior lighting! :)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Catt,
Looks like you made that enginehouse just big enough. I'll be able to park this in there when I come around the pond for an operating session. :D :D :D

Attachments

• on30-2-8-2.jpg
    on30-2-8-2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 214
C

Catt

She should feel right at home Pete.Setting in there with her two sisters:D I need to get started on my modules pretty quick so I have a place to put the e house.

Hey Catt!,

That's a gem you've built!! .... Just glad you chose to fit huge skylights as it would have been criminal not to be able to see that super laticework of the roof supports you've made.

I know you love using styrene sheet, I use it myself from time to time. Will the interior have a black undercoat of paint to prevent light showing through ??

I'd also like to know your technique for connecting and feeding power to interior roof-height lighting (if that's where you will be placing lights).

Overall it's beautiful, even in it's unfinished state.

Errol

C

Catt

Errol,the only thing I've figured for the lighting is that there will be 6 lights hung in two rows longways (or parallel to the tracks in the building.I'm still trying to figure out how to make the roof removable but still fit well.

C

Catt

are you getting tired of looking at this building?

ehouse9.jpg

ehouse10.jpg

I ended up swapping out the three center trusses I made for the origonal ones that came in the kit.The end trusses are still my scratchbuilt ones.

All that remains to be done is the rest of the interior frame work,hanging and wiring the lights.They will be HO units from Minitronics unless my pusher can find me some O scale units.I find it interesting that I need 6 lights and they come in a 5 pack.

Oh yeah,needs some doors too. The service door on the side is no problem ,the front doors I have no idea what I'm going to do.:confused:

cidchase

Hi Catt,
My suggestion is a two-panel accordion or folding style door on either side of the opening.
The house looks excellent!!