Outside Track

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by TomPM, Jan 15, 2005.

1. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

We got the Bachmann Big Hauler set up and running and it runs great. In the Spring we hope to move it outside.

Here is the first of many questions: What type of track should we use outside? We live in the Philadelphia suburbs so we can have hot humid summers and cold snowy winters.
  2. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

3. Philinbos

Philinbos Member

You might also check some other largescale forums... The traditional wisdom has been
    Aristocraft track and LGB switches... This may be changing as LGB and Aristo have both had switch design changes fairly recently. My Aristo Pacific has trouble with LGB switches due to these design changes, I have not tried the new Aristo switches yet. Aristo track is available in 5 ft sections, I think LGB's longest is 4 ft. The other question is Brass vs Stainless Steel. I use Brass, ( both Aristo & LGB) and there is some cleaning involved. I haven't tried SS yet, but everyone I've talked to who uses it swears by it.
  4. TomPM

Thanks folks!

Phillinbos you touched on the next part of my question: brass vs. stainless steel. How much of difference is there with cleaning each one?

Is the Bachmann Big Hauler track only for indooor use?
  5. Philinbos

Philinbos Member

Since I haven't tried the SSteel yet I can't really speak on whether It's easier to clean or not, I beleive it's easier as with Brass your cleaning dirt and oxidation, Stainsteel shouldn't oxizide or at least not as much (?). The bachman track is not ridgid enough
    for long term outside use.
  6. Oldmax

Oldmax Member

I haven't tried S/S But I have A mixture of LGB & Aristo with all LGB switches. A Small layout 650' track All Brass it only takes about 10 Min. to clean track with Drywall sander od long handle but my advise would be get rid of couplers that come with track & buy Split Jaw
  7. Philinbos

Philinbos Member

One thing I will add about the Aristocraft track which I like... The joiners between sections screw together - which makes wiring accesories to the track easier. Each box of track comes with the screws and a small screwdriver.To date, I have not needed to add jumpers between the sections of track, nor rail clamps. :thumb:
  8. TomPM

Thanks folks.

This information is great and useful.

Now my biggest problem is finding the stuff. The LHS around here carry very little if any G-Scale items. The few that do carry stuff have the very high end stuff that require commas in the price tags.
  9. Danny

Danny Member

Tom, I good source of Aristocraft track is Large Scale On Line (LSOL.com), it it well worth the token dues to belong they have an excellent on line shop. Plus a really good Forum catering exclusively for Large Scale.
    Regards, Danny Sheehan downunder in Oz.