Outer Space

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey Tyson,
This kind of brings to mind a thread we had going here a year or so ago on "futuristic" model railroading. We were talking about building layouts with a sci-fi, or fantasy type setting.
It was a pretty lively discussion...everyone felt pretty strongly one way or another.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
If you go to NASA's homepage, then to the space station link, then to the railroad link you can see some short movies of the railcar in action! Robin, you might be interested to know it was made in Brampton, Ontario! The WORLD'S first outer space railroad and the rolling stock came from your home country my friend. COOL!!:D

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
From what I gather the railcar will be used to transport experiments and building materials from the dock to the other side of the station. They are doing it this way instead of trying to hold the shuttle in orbit in free space and then trying to unload.:eek:

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Well looks like things are as usual. Read a small blurb in the paper today. It says the railcar got stuck. NASA blames the lack of gravity; according to the article. You'd figure after doing this for a good fifty years they'd know about the lack of gravity in space.:D :p

Than again, they do spend thousands on automatic hammers.:D ;)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Tyson:
Noted that the railcar was built in Brampton as were the robot arms.
Do any of your newspapers refer to it as the "Canadarm" or is that just in Canada?
Or are they going to refer to it as Canadian until it starts working again?

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
CA-NAAAAAAAA-DI-ANS IN SPACE!!!!

I've always seen it referred to as the Canadarm (and Canadarm 2). What's the train going to be called? Let's see, you've got Canadian National and Canadian Pacific...how about Canadian Orbital? :)

-Rory

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I guess a lot of the C-I-S stuff is ordered by NASA because the Canadian dollar is so weak that the bargains can't be resisted.
Canadian Orbital Railway sounds good to me.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
60103 Canadarm is the only thing I've read or seen. Being is railroads aways tend to have names grander then they really are how about the Canadian Interplantery Rail System?:D Robin be happy you have a weak dollar, as the American dollar grows stronger the layoff lines get longer.:(