outdoor track?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Feb 1, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ok i been looking at starting an O gauge 3 rail garden train, i been looking a atlas O indoor/outdoor nickel/silver track.

but im not sure i want to leave the track outside in the winter but would in the summer , and i got a bad habit of changing my layouts all the time anyway, so i dont want naything that i cant take up and move or change.

so what about MTH track with the roadbed that snaps togeather like the lionel fasttrack? would that work out side? its nickel/silver just like the atlas O track.

i wish the fasttrack was nickel/silver....lol
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

The only problem I see is you'll have to level off the ground under the tracks every time you change your layout.
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

well thats where i thought the track with the roadbed atatched would help out some to.

its not so much i change them, but mage them BIGGER!...lol,, change just enough to add on i guess.

i know some pour cement for a base under the track, i dont want to do that.

the MTH track would stay in place without tacking it down to.
  4. Geno

Geno Member

I don't know if the MTH realtrax is UV rated to sit outside- I know Atlas is. The folks who have used it use crushed granite fines for a roadbed, just like prototype.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Even with the plastic roadbed, you're going to need a level surface to keep thinks from setting off kilter.

I've been thinking about building a big, circular cement planter out in my yard. It would have 3 levels going around it. O72 at the base, then 045 in the middle and 036 at the top. I could run 3 trains in alternating directions around the loops and build little tunnels and stuff on the sides to make interesting scenery for it.
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

yes, but the tube track would have to be smoother then the MTH track i would thing

but ya, i did not think about the UV plastic...... i will have to look at the atlas O track some more.

7. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

8. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

I would stay away form MTH Realtrax for outdoor use. It is not UV rated and the contacts between sections can be a problem even indoors. I think they would be a major headache outdoors. I have it on half of my indoor layout and learned from experience to use the contact grease that the garden railroaders use outdoors, on the contacts on my indoor Realtrax.
  9. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

A friend of mine uses Atlas track outside year round. He lives outside of Reno Nevada and it has been up for three winters and this summer will be the fourth. It has held up under snow, rain, frost and summer heat. He runs MTH DCS for train control.