Outdoor roads

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Gary Pfeil, May 20, 2003.

1. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

I built a fairly small garden railroad three years ago. It is only a circle, about 5x25'. The only structure is a commercially available covered bridge. This is not meant to ba a scale model, just animation for one of the gardens. My wife paints buildings on rocks and, soon, skyscrapers on 6x6 timbers. We want to put acouple of these skyscappers on a hill the trains will tunnel beneath. Before I get to my question, a word about the bldgs. Plexiglass will be cut to fit three sides of the 6x6. Whenshe has sketched the window placement, I will rout the 6x6 to form channels for clear xmas lights. The plexi will be masked so the window areas are covered, the bldg will be painted, the masking removed and the plexi attached to the 6x6, resulting in lighted skyscrapers. OK, the question: I need to make a road on a grade a bottom level grade xing up the hill to the bldgs. What material can I use for the road? The earth has been excavated but I have no clue what to use to simulate either a aspalt or concrete road. While of no help, I have posted the only photo I have of the area, taken two years ago. If it helps I will take some ne wones but the question is only about materials suitable for use. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

For the heck of it, here is a photo of a house my wife painted on a rock on commision for someone who wanted to give it as a gift. She gets photos of homes and recreates them on rocks! We use several of her freelanced ones in the garden. The skyscrapers will be a little more realistic, but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

3. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

First your wife is one heck of a artist!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: As far as the grade crossing and road if you leave this track down year around I would just use real concrete or the latest rage crushed granite. In your climate the concrete will of course crack if you don't put wire inside of it. Myself I would let it crack (more realistic). With the crushed granite you won't have to worry about cracking.
  4. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

How about roofing felt or shingles. They're supposed to be out in the weather. I use roofing felt for the roads on my "S" modules and they look good.
  5. CSX6638

CSX6638 Member

When I had my Garden Railroad set up I used asphalt rolled roofing material, it comes in various colors and about 20 foot lengths if I remember correctly, you can scribe and cut long pcs. of road and curves or around corners without to many joints. If you know your layout plan you can cut it with driveways attached to the road going to your structures. Stands up well to the weather, had it on the storage shed for over 20 years and on the ground for 5, dont forget to well up the ground a little under the road for a more realistic look and you can paint your lines white or yellow..Hope this helps.