Out of Action :(

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Getter1, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello All,

I'm going nuts! Can't build or do much of anything for some time to come. I recieved a serious injury due to a stupid snowblower accident Friday :(

I broke 2 fingers, 1 in 2 places trying to clear a clogg. I was using an un-familiar machine and got bit. I get to have surgery on the 24th the pin up one of the breaks and possibly have a nerve repaired as the middle finger recieved 2 good slashes through the joint.

All in all I am thankfull that it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. For now all I can do is look at everyone else's work :p

Hope everyone has a safe and joyious holiday season, and for God's sake only use a scoop in a snowblower. Don't be a moron like I was!!!

Attached Files:

2. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Gasp! Dangit Getter, how many times have we told you...! :D Hope you feel better buddy.And, hope the surgery goes all well. Stinks though, no building for a long time... Maybe you should try more 3-D modeling for the mean-time :p Think of it this way, you'll be a pro after your fingers heal!
  3. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

Crikeys! Glad you didn't suffer worse damage than you did. Heal quick and think of new designs for the rest of use to get cracking on.
  4. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Take care, man!

Maybe you can spend some time doing research towards future projects? Or learning some new software tools? Good luck and fast recovery!
  5. zealousy

zealousy Member

If you were in South Asia where there's no snow, this wouldn't have happened...LOL OK OK bad joke......Hope you get better soon and back to building..I don't think you're missing out on a lot cos most people are distracted by holidays now?!?!?!Good luck with the surgery tomorrow!
  6. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Yikes! :eek:
    Now that's a scary picture!
    All the best.
  7. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Ouch, ouch, ouch!!! Sounds like something I would do. I've cleared clogged grass under my lawnmower while the blades were spinning. Good luck and hope you're back to cuttin and pasting soon.
  8. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Thanks for all the good wishes :)

The guys in the ER told me I was bout the 17th snow blower accident in 2 days so I didn't feel too dumb after hearing that :p

My normal machine as soon as you let go of the auger control the auger stops within seconds allowing for safe clearing of the chute. I was using one of the other machines built by Craftsman and I didn't think it would be any diffrent until I was going for the last little bit in ther and I haerd the auger hitting my glove. I expected to pull a mangled mess out of thger but was suprised to see only 1 bad injury. That 1 bad injury was bad enough though.

Oh Elliott, if you think the picture was scarry imagine pulling your glove off and seeing the tip of your middle finger to one side and not being able to move or feel it :( It didn't hurt much at all till the next day. Between being in shock and being out in 15 degree weather all day helped to :p

Well sat up as long as I can. Time to lay down again.

9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Holy crap!!

Take care man...
  10. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Just seen this and OOOOOOOOOOOO. I bet that hurt comes to mind. Get well.

Sorry, but lucky you, getting snow and a propper christmas. No white christmas over here, enjoy it. But don't bend any other fingers.
  11. sakrison

sakrison Member

I'm glad you weren't injured more seriously. When I worked as an ambulance crew chief, I saw much, much worse done by snow blowers. I guess that's one reason I still rely on my old "Armstrong 1/16th HP Snow Thrower." It's slow but it always starts on the first pull. It's a pain in the a**, but it will never bit my fingers off. It's non-polluting (unless you count expletives as "pollution"). And it can clear my whole sidewalk fueled by just 4 oz of Scotch.

I tried using the optional "Expansion Pack" for a few years (teenage daughters with color-coordinated shovels), but it was always hard to start and more than once threatened to bite my head off.

These days, with the heavy snows, the old Armstrong burns a little more Scotch getting the job done, but it still works pretty well, and I still have all my digits.

Count your blessings (not to mention your fingers), and get well soon.

12. Darwin

Darwin Member

Owieeee.....I hope all heals well, and quickly. I'd better quit whining about the pulled back muscle from wrassling around my snowblower. Have as happy a holiday as you can manage.
  13. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Hey Getter, Hope you heal in record time! How'd the op go?
  14. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hey TC,

The opp went well. They had to pin the one break and do a nerve repair at the same joint. It's bound up in a cast and I get to see the doc again next week :p

15. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Those nerve loss could be a bugger. Glad yours got fixed G1! :D Fastest of fast recoveries we wish you buddy!
  16. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Wow, good to hear you are recovering well. Here is to a fast recovery!
  17. I used to live in Michigan where there is snow. Now I live in San Diego where there is no snow. No more snowblowers, snowmobiles ice, chains and all the injuries with which they are associated. You are living proof. Stay well my friend and heal. At least you will get better, I have an injury from which I will never heal. So count your blessings. You will model again.
  18. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello All,

Well the recovery is going well. The cast was removed on the 23rd of January and the pin was removed as well :p I've been in Splints since then and hopefully those come off on the 10th :) Then I start Physical Therapy :(

I took a picture of the wound when I was changing the dressings last week. It was before I got to clean it up really good so I don't think anyone wants to see it, it's pretty gory :p

I've been able to do some modeling with the help of my special tools and determination :p I'll be revealing a secret project later on tonight as well :)

Sorry to hear you have a pernament injury :( Care to say what happened?

19. zealousy

zealousy Member

20. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

that really sucked... get well soon sir...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.