ouch.!!

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Keep this in mind when planning a layout..

Today, phone rang, I quickly went under a "duck under" when, yes, you guessed it, I misjudged the distance and "boink"! It hurt my wittle head! Even after I answered the phone, I still heard a ringing noise.

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
One Lump...Or Two?

After clobbering my head the same way countless times, I have no intentions of having a duckunder on my next layout.

I've also misjudged and rammed the small of my back into the framework as I stood back up. Double ouch.:eek:

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Not exactly the same but.......

One of my friends and I were watching another friend working on his car. He was well underneath the car when he sneezed. After he sneezed his feet went limp. The poor sucker knocked himself out cold by hitting his head on the frame when he sneezed. Funny as all get out........well, for us anyway.

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Another head bonking memory.....

I remember in a club I used to belong to, there was a member's kid who used to run around under the layout. His head was just about touching the crossmembers under there. One night he was running around and we suddenly heard a choking sound. The little rug rat caught himself on the wiring of the yard. Didn't do any damage to himself, but ripped out most of the wiring. Didn't see him for a couple of months after that. When he did come back, he started running around as usual and then BONK!!...... WAAAAAA!!! I guess he didn't realize he had grown a bit since the last time he was there.

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Two weeks ago, I was under my layout doing some wireing. I backed out and when I started to get up, boynk. Hit my head on the edge of the frame. I was about 3 inches short when backing up. A few minutes later, went in to check my E Mail and the gauge postings and my wife asked what I did to my head. It turned out I had cut a nice gash in the back part of my head and blood was runing down onto the back of my T shirt. She cleaned it up and put cold compresses on until it quit bleeding.

A couple of days later When I went in to have my surgery. the Dr. asked what happed to my head. Before my wife could say anything, I said I had trouble getting to sleep the other night and my wife decided to help me. The Dr. got a great laugh out of it, but my wife!! Well, lets just drop it here.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I guess I have tried most ways over the years but the worst BONKS I got was working on a double decker layout, also some sizzling when my head got to close to a light bulb so scrapped that layout. Now my current layout does have a duck under but it's good and high so I don't have to bend much. Wouldn't have it if I had more space for the layout design I wanted. Compromise Compromise:eek: :eek: :eek: Something we model railroaders have to deal with.

garyn

Jul 24, 2003
SF Bay Area, CA
Visit site
I used to go to a club layout, and after wacking my head more than a couple times, some quite painful that put me on the floor, I began wearing a plastic hard hat. The kids thought it was funny, and it did look odd, but my head appreciated the protection.

Under my house I have a couple water pipes that I've run into more than a few times, again with a lot of pain. I've since put pipe insulation on them to pad the impact, until I can reroute the pipes.

Similarly where you have the duck-unders I recommend padding them w foam rubber to pad the inevitable collision. Also any place where you know you will lean in w your head, put a layer of foam rubber.

Identify the duck-under. As you are looking at the floor when you go under, so paint the floor to identify the location of the duck-under. Then paint a radius extending maybe 3 feet from the duck-under, so you know when you can straighten up and know that you are clear of the duck-under.

Gary

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
No duckunder on my layout (mostly because right now no layout, and when I do have one it'll be along two walls of a room, so still no duckunder), but I've cracked my head on my garden shed a few times. The shed is about as tall as I am, so the door is about shoulder height and every once in a while **bang** and the neighborhood kids learn new words.

In my old apartment my bathroom doorway was only about my height too, if I stepped over the threshold I cleared it, if I stepped ON the threshold I'd crack the top of my skull. A very unpleasant way to wake up in the morning.

For the record, I'm 5' 11", so it was a VERY low doorway.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Gary, I stapled pipe insulation to the floor joists above my treadmill in the basement. Almost feels good to bump my head now :D

mhdishere, I had a real bad head knocker at the bottom of my basement stairs, got tired of it, unavoidable because of a big support beam, so after a few years, I reloceted the stairs!