Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Rick Thomson, Jul 1, 2007.

1. dansls1

dansls1 Member

In my wargaming days, I purchased a Khorne greater deamon for Warhammer fantasy / 40K armies. This is the fantasy god of blood and battle in this particular gaming universe. First thing I did after bringing the model home was manage to flip the Xacto knife around in my hand and grasp it nice and tight - cutting myself pretty good (probably stitches good, but I didn't go in). Of course, the first thing I could say was the battle cry of the Khorne armies - blood for the blood god - lol.
  2. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Yes. Yes you can. You just have to be really trying.

Trust me....

3. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

A simple fix for the standard X-acto handel is to tape a small piece of plastic rod (or wood dowel, coat hanger, etc) parallel to the handle. I taped a 1/8" x 1"" piece of plastic rod to mine years ago. It doesn't roll off the desk, but I manage to knock if off occasionally. :rolleyes:
  4. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Taping something to the handle of a round Xacto type knife is a GREAT suggestion.:thumb: I've done that since they took the stitches out of my leg from a gash from an Xacto with a number 11 blade that rolled off my modeling work table!

I prefer the Excel 16017 K17 No Roll Art Knife over small Xacto knives. I broke the one I had used for years but found replacements from widgetsupply.com. That's a fun site --- check it out. Lots of stuff you can't live without!:rolleyes:

5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

What??!! And all this time I've NOT been running with them??

6. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

As soon as I read your post regarding your mishap, my leg has started hurting in sympathy. I can vividly imagine it happening to me. Maybe someone should invent kevlar chaps for use by cardmodellers.

-Jim G
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I feel your pain but I am sooooooo glad it didnt land somewhere else....
  8. mellotronage

mellotronage Member

I employ 9mm retractable hobby blades most of the time (the kind with the break-off blades?) Those things WON'T roll.
    Ouch sounds about right, my man. Sorry to hear it.
  9. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I just thought about it....

I bet you said more four letters words than just "Ouch". I know I would have....
  10. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Any photo's. Just kidding.

Luckly, no cuts for me yet. Fingers crossed.
  11. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

I don't know, I've done far more damage to myself with scissors than with exacto knives, usually cutting a fine detail on a small part.
  12. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

Last month I tried to shake the blades from the tube. The oil had them stuck, so I started to tap the tube on the table and it wasn't working, so I started to do it harder and harder, finally the last 2 blades came out on the upswing and on the down swing I shoved them to the bone of my thumb! Boy was that DUMB!
  13. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I do have a photo actually, not that dramatic though, just a red fleck. I didn't have the presence of mind to take one with the blade in situs I'm afraid...

That had to hurt.