Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Rick Thomson, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

A few months ago John Bowden had some complaints about the sharpness of Xacto blades. I have to say that I disagree with him...

About 15 minutes ago my knife rolled off my desktop, my first refex was to try to catch it by bringing my knees together, bad reflex...the damned thing sank itself up to the hilt in my knee.

Luckily it didn't hit any veins, and my tetanus shots are up to date, but still...ouch...

2. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Oh wow! You need to work on that reflex! I have trained myself to think "CLEAR" whenever my knife falls out of my hand or rolls off the table. I spread my legs and feet and lean back. I still manage to cut my fingers, though. :p Hope you're not in too much pain.
  3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Double Ouch!
    As a memento I keep my dress pants with neat little cut on my thigh (not to mention the scar on me) - did exactly the same thing...........
  4. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I did it myself when I first started cardmodeling six years ago. The next day, I spent all day looking a comfortable blade handle which wouldn't roll off the desk.

Found three, still use one.
  5. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

The new Neosporin+Pain Relief works wonders for me. I'm also a flint knapper, so I get LOTS of cuts. A little dab will do ya, if it's an X-acto puncture you might want to squirt it right INTO the cut. The pointy end works well for this..wipe it off with alcohol after. Obsidian ALWAYS makes a puncture wound on me. Just lucky I guess. Heh

6. Padre

Padre Guest

Yep a Doodle, been there, done that!hamr
  7. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Since I started using the X-acto 2000 the knife doesn't roll off the table anymore, but I still cut my fingers just the same.

Xacto X2000 Knives
  8. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Thanks for the tips, I poured a whack of hydrogen peroxide over it, and have installed a rubber triangular thingie on the end of the knife handle.

Alcohol (Bowmore single malt... ;-) ) was applied internally afterwards.

8 years or so cardmodelling and this is the first time that I really did any damage other than nicked fingers, or to the furniture.

9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I never liked Exacto handles for this very reason, so I've always used a Swann Morton handle and 10a blades. Still didn't stop one sliding off a book I was using as a reference and impaling itself in my ankle bone! Doiiiiiiinnnnngggggg!

I'd like to say I was building a Wilhelmshaven Whaling Ship at the time, but I wasn't.....

10. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Ouch indeed! That's gotta hurt.
    I prefer Laphroaig single Islay malt for that kind of treatment.:thumb:

Here is the hobby knife that I use:

It is a Fiskars with a soft handle. Stays put.:)
  11. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I haven't done any major cuts paper modelling yet. Maybe a nick here or there. But, I suppose it's just a matter of time....

But, about this time last year I was trimming down some of those green landscape timbers and put a circular saw through my thigh...

The Missus makes me wear those jeans any time I use a power tool now...
  12. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I had that same knife. Not bad, but I just couldn't get used to the joint in the middle.

I use the Xacto Griptser knife now. It has a little hexagonal piece at the end. Rolls easier than the 2000, but still safer than nothing
  13. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I found out you can't close it too tight, or it mashes the soft aluminum washer at the joint. It should be made of steel - or made in such a way that it doesn't use the washer. It's definitely the weak point in the knife. But I love the feel of the shape of the handle in my hand and the weight of it.
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Dang Rick!:eek:

Actually it wasn't the sharpness I complained about, it was the dang tips breaking off!

I'm really glad the tip did not break off!:thumb:

I'm glad it wasn't too serious.............. next time just get the hel.....er.......heck out of the way...............oh......... and wear shoes, they don't feel good sticking in the foot either.............

Be careful.............keep modeling!

15. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

You really gotta hate when this happens.......
  16. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I gashed my finger tip about a inch and a half long (my forefinger) I took some crazy glue (gel type) and squeezed it together then applied the crazy glue. The doctor said it made doing the 8 stitches a lot easier. That stuff really burns but at least I was able to drive to the doctor without a lot of blood messing things up. I still have great respect for them but upon occasion they still bite back.
  17. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

Dumb things we do........

OK, as long as we are confessing lack of mental judgement....... I have'nt caught an X-Acto for a looong time but I did catch a 25 watt pencil soldering iron that rolled of the bench. ONCE!!! What is it they say - no pain, no gain?
    Fred Z
  18. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

So I guess I'm doing something wrong here... I've never hurt myself with any tools I use for modeling. Is that, or I have to keep on building more and more!
  19. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I know of someone who, while talking to a technician, parked his bum over the edge of the workbench and sat on the guys soldering iron....

An hour later, returning from the site medical centre with his cheek and trousers patched, he tried to continue the conversation he had been having, and did EXACTLY the same thing again! Put the soldering iron smack through the middle of the elastoplast!!

PS NNOOOO, it wasn't me!!!!!!
  20. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

That's the primary reason I've never used hobby knives in any of my builds... You just can't cut yourself with scissors