Ottawa Ontario area - O Train

bear

Nov 8, 2004
Mason, Ohio
Need some help with obtaining information on the Otrain. I would like to model all or part of it in HO. Have a BRAWA Talent BR643 unit that is DCC ready. Also got decals for the Otrain from a hobby shop in Ottawa.
Have not been to Ottawa in the last 8 or 9 years and have not seen the train in operation.
Specifically looking for info on the Ellwood sub and the Walkley yard, station platforms, Dows Lake tunnel and bridges, etc....
Am familiar with the Octranspo web site and Ottawa Valley HOTRACKS.
Any help or additional contact info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Vic.

bear

Nov 8, 2004
Mason, Ohio
I want to thank everyone for your responses. It's a great feeling to know there are people out there who would take the time to help. I hope I can do the same for someone on The-Gauge. This is the best model railroad website I have seen so far.

Thanks again and special thanks to Robin for the pic. I don't have this one!!! There's some good detail on the platforms.

Vic

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Vic,

I posted these photos a while back. The OCTranspo web site is www/octranspo.com , with specific train info at http://www.octranspo.com/train_menue.htm .

I have seen a complete O-Train for sale in HO scale in one of the hobby shops in Ottawa (Hobby House).

I might be able to answer some of your questions, having ridden the line several times, but I don't know too much about Walkley yard and so on. I do know that the Ottawa Central leases part of it, but other details I do not have.

Andrew

bear

Nov 8, 2004
Mason, Ohio
Pat & Chris, I really appreciate your offer of help.:thumb: :thumb:

I'm in the early stages of developing a layout of the Otrain to include Bayview, Carling, Carlton and Greenboro stations. Would also like to include the tunnel at Dows Lake, the bridge on the Rideau and the maintenance facility at Walkley yard.:confused:
I appreciate the need for security. I'm only looking for general info that is available to the public. I've gotten some excellent info from the OCTRANSPO website and some history from David Jeannes at HOTRACK; Hobby House, and some excellent decals from Mike Belcher.
It's been difficult to find any info on the Ellwood Sub. I understand it's an old line that was refurbished for the new train.

Ottawa is a nine hour car ride and would be tough to do on the weekend.;) This project will not get done unless I make the trip a few time.
But for now, I would like to establish a track plan and get the benchwork done.
Any sources or direction would be appreciated.
Thanks again.

capitalrailfan

Mar 8, 2006
Walkley Yard

Hi Vic

I'm still new to this but I thought I'd see if I could be of some help. Capital Rail(OC Transpo) uses the former CP part of the yard, located on the north side. I was a volunteer there at last years doors open event and the site for the event had a great photo on there site of track layout

http://www.ottawa.ca/city_services/culture/doorsopen/buildings/central_octranspo_yard_en.html

I also took some photos inside the shops if you're interested.

Mike

bear

Nov 8, 2004
Mason, Ohio
Hi Mike,
Sorry for the long delay answering your post. I'm out of the country for the next 3 years and have not had the opportunity to reply sooner.
I would really like to see the pictures, if you could pm them. I have never done this, but maybe someone could help with directions.
Thanks for your help. The photo of the maint. yard was exactly what I'm looking for.

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
i finally rode the Otrain, very interesting ride. was not what I expected at all. nothig like a street car or toronto subway train ride. saw one OC train waiting for the O train to cross the tracks, also noticed we crossed another set of tracks , are both diamonds active with other trains?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The Ottawa Central operates regularly across one of the diamonds (the one going to Walkley Yard I believe). That would be the one just north of Greenboro - the southern terminus.

Following the other tracks that cross a bit further north leads you to the "new" Ottawa Station. Since trains run both west and east from Ottawa, it is a good bet that that diamond is still active ;)

I have never seen another train waiting while riding either VIA or the O-Train. But I haven't ridden that much recently... :(

Andrew