Shamus
wink.gif

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Thankyou Andrew,

That`s Great.

When we "did"the Railfair 2001, on the Sunday we had a guided tour of the old Ottawa streetcar routes

We found the old pot hangers still attatched to the side of the old barn:eek:
Then we got a real treat Pat Scrimgeour our friend and guide took us to the only remaining concreat pole where the trolly wire hung from.
When we got there we all piled out of the car and after lots of oooos and aaaas and patting the pole we got back in the car., It was only then we noticed a group of locals looking at us and scatching there heads:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
We must have looked a bonny site;) :p

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Masonjar:
I rode the Ottawa Electric every time I went to Ottawa until they closed it. There's one commercial video with some very late footage in it.
Jon:
If you really want to know what's under the skirt: The car is a snow sweeper for light snow (under 2 or 3 feet) and there is a bristle brush (like the evergreen trees) mounted at an angle and it rotates to throw the snow off the tracks and onto parked cars and sidewalks. The Rockwood museum has one or two from TTC.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Andew
Forgot the smilies: I don't think the sweepers were used over about 6" -- over that would use plows.Toronto gave up on sweepers and plows because too many cars and trucks were left in the street, and they weren't allowed to push them out of the way.