Ottawa Electric Railway

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by MasonJar, Jan 23, 2003.

1. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Picture for Interurban, spitfire, and others. From the City of Ottawa archives.

Attached Files:

2. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi MasonJar

Thats a great old photo, nice to see.
  3. interurban

interurban Active Member

Thankyou Andrew,

That`s Great.

When we "did"the Railfair 2001, on the Sunday we had a guided tour of the old Ottawa streetcar routes

We found the old pot hangers still attatched to the side of the old barn:eek:
    Then we got a real treat Pat Scrimgeour our friend and guide took us to the only remaining concreat pole where the trolly wire hung from.
    When we got there we all piled out of the car and after lots of oooos and aaaas and patting the pole we got back in the car., It was only then we noticed a group of locals looking at us and scatching there heads:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    We must have looked a bonny site;) :p
  4. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

That is a nice pic. Kinda wanta peek up that skirt and see how she works...

Chris, you should join the loggin' forum, we even have electrics doin' loggin' up there!!! Nice!
  5. interurban

interurban Active Member

Hi Jon, I have been taking a peek:D :D :D :D

How is your layout coming along:p
  6. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks MasonJar - what a great photo! Love the letterng on the front!

:D Val
  7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I rode the Ottawa Electric every time I went to Ottawa until they closed it. There's one commercial video with some very late footage in it.
    If you really want to know what's under the skirt: The car is a snow sweeper for light snow (under 2 or 3 feet) and there is a bristle brush (like the evergreen trees) mounted at an angle and it rotates to throw the snow off the tracks and onto parked cars and sidewalks. The Rockwood museum has one or two from TTC.
  8. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

"Light" snow

David - only in Canada would 2 - 3 feet of snow be called "light"...

:D :D

9. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Forgot the smilies: I don't think the sweepers were used over about 6" -- over that would use plows.Toronto gave up on sweepers and plows because too many cars and trucks were left in the street, and they weren't allowed to push them out of the way.