Other hobby's?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Not necessarily in any order of preference:

1. Woodworking/DIY
2. Electronics/computers (a 50 year career)
3. Eating just about anything that doesn't move at the time
4. Keeping my wife happy
5. As N Gauger said, good TV, real shows, (not "reality shows") like most anything on the DIY, A & E, Discovery, TLC and PBS channels.

rsarber

Jan 29, 2005
EZ, Keeping your wife happy is a hobby? That's more of a full time job. My wife and I have an understanding. She understands that if I spend to much on my hobbies, that she gets the house, the car and most of my hobby stuff. So keeping her happy is JOB 1 at my house. As far as other hobbies, I have a garage full of woodworking tools, a trunk full of golf clubs, a closet full of photography equipment and the best of all (besides trains) are three grandkids.
Rick

my other main hobby is aquariums. I was really into fishkeeping a few years back but when i became a truck driver i had to get rid of most of my fish. now i just have my pond and a 125 gallon tank filled with cichlids from lake Malawi. I was big into breeding lake Tanganyika cichlids and discus fish. now all my tanks are collecting dust in the barn.

my other hobbies are fishing and railfanning.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
My other hobbies? Model building, landscaping, painting, electronics, photography, woodworki.....Oh...Wait...That is model railroading............
Actually, my other hobby is collecting Nascar die-cast and memorbilia.

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
I do woodworking...built beds, porch swings, etc; Music, I play Piano, Trumpet, Drums, and sing. Im the Music Director at my church; I too have 1/32 slot cars from the 60's and want to build a custom wooden track once the carport is enclosed and finished; photography is also on my list mostly black and white.

77Railer

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
My alternate hobby right now is reading -- mostly science fiction and fantasy. I used to do a lot of dancing -- folk dancing then Scottish dancing. I still devise Scottish country dances for friends' weddings, births, bar mitzvahs, funerals.
I also have a collection of musical instruments that I can't play.

Dick Elmore

Aug 22, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
:thumb: My other hobbies are collecting die cast model cars, which right now is only a part time hobby, and up untill about two years ago, road racing sports cars,
1 to 1 scale. I had to take down all of my trophy's and store them to make room for my model train displays.

Dick
Texas Chief

galt904

Jan 17, 2005
Beachville ON
My other hobbies (in no particular order) are my 1979 Ford pickup, home renovations, woodworking, playing with my daughter, and keeping my wife happy.

G Pfeifer

Jan 28, 2005
Bloomington MN
My other hobby is Radio Control Scale Model Boats, I scratch build from plans or pure whimsy. Have about 40 of them that take up the other half of the basement. They range in size from an HO scale Tug Boat, to a 1/96th scale USS Missouri ( that is just under 10 feet in length).

My favorite, is a model of a river tow boat, as would be used in a harbor area for making up tows and general short distance work. The boat is very run down, dirty and generally beat up. The captain stands on the port side rear deck, drinking a few beers (crushed cans at his feet), smokes a cigar, and thru the magic of a small pump he does nasty things to any boats coming too close to his. On the bow is another squirt gun that will shoot about 10 feet. A great crowd pleaser. It's amazing how much fun kids think getting squirted with dirty pond water is. The boat is a great crowd pleaser.

George

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My other hobby is a 1987 Firebird Trans Am built in the 12 inches to the foot scale. I also saw a die cast car model that I liked and bought it. Now I need a cabinet to display all of the die cast I've bought! My first love was cars, and I've been a car nut all of my life. It is only now that my daughters are grown, and our nest is getting empty that I can indulge in my car hobby. I can't afford to collect the real thing though. The Firebird is a lot of fun, but it is all I can afford to have. I have to say the new electronics are awesome. I've got a roller cam 350 putting out about 280 horse power, and I still get 22-23 mpg on trips!

I've got a 1987 Iroc-z that would probably be considered my second hobby. This too is my wife's and my baby. The camaro is alot of fun as well but with gas prices it hasn't gotten as much use as it used to get. Powered by a TPI 305 and a 5-speed manual (set up for Canyon carving) it gets 30MPG on the highway with 240 HP. Up until recently I was big into model cars but now that I'm back into MRRing I'm selling off my collection of about 50 models and detail parts.

It seems to me that there are many Amateur Radio operators who use their Ham hobby for other interests. After retirement and going to live in a country town I helped to establish a Community Radio Station. Then I was made a come back to RR—then the bug got me, I was directed to 3 forums, Atlas, Bachman and The Gauge. I got hooked into following the threads and where they would lead, I became a RR forum surfer. The amount of info’ that one acquires is tremendous and all of this leads to further digressions, I notice that surfing the Web has meant that there are not enough hours in the day to become bored, so with a friend who is computer guru we decided to set up a web site for our local church so if you are a non “ water surfer” take a look at www.warragul.unitingchurch.org I must confess that I have borrowed many of the jokes and “The Thought for the Month” come out of the USA. It has been my observation that people who have hobbies do in the main lead healthier lives and that they are an asset to the community, I am grateful for the good friends that have enriched my life through RR, by the way my wife is “The catering Manager” on my RR she also is a “Nutty” quilter.
Tom.Straughair VK3ABV

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
I do organic vegetable gardening, internet surfing, NASCAR, (I'll be at Texas Moter Speedway this Sunday), and I'm beginning to experiment with photography. Although it isn't a hobby, I have a fifteen acre yard that keeps me busy outdoors quite a bit. I don't watch television except for hockey games (extra spare time this year!!!), so I have a lot of free time to spend on activities. All three kids are through with college now so I'm done with the endless stream of sports, plays, etc. Mostly I model and run trains.

I have been directed to this web site by another RR fan. I have been rather slow in getting involved in the hobby via the Internet. This site is truly amazing, the kind help, the broad scope of many people just goes to show how diverse faceless people are giving their attention to others (from what I read many seem to meet at trade shows). They may be faceless but a truly wonderful people. I think that the idea of giving a small amount of history is OK. I am 66, married 3 children, lived all my life in California and am into HO and N scale.
This posting has captured my attention, I also showed it to my wife and she has urged me to get on the “band wagon” and make a contribution. The forum is one thing, but the other sites and the photo’s that you can be directed to would fill a library. I have gained a lot of info on kit bashing and scenery. On the other hand my son-in-law has urged me to look up the web site that Dorcas mentioned I believe he comes from Australia and although it has no RR if you are a surfer here it is www.warragul.unitingchurch.org (it is a church site) it is pleasantly unusual, well worth having a looking and constantly kept up to date with some good ol’American Thoughts for the Month. “The Gauge” goes along way to bring the hobby to a wide range of people.
I suppose my other “hobby” is looking at all the sites that you fellows have directed me to via your postings.

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
Well lets see,

1. certified hang glider since 1973 - still flying today
2. certified scuba diver since 1979 - still diving today
3. certified sky diver since 1986 - still jumping today ( have to make at least 10 jumps per year to remain certified - 714 logged jumps to date - max alt. jump at 13,000 ft., have to breath oxygen above 10,000 ft.)
4. V.F.D.\ First Responder since 1992 - ( part time job ) and I love it!
5. MRR - Kind of all my life off and on. First wife put that on hold until I got smart and got rid of her!! :curse:
And that is it for me. Oh yea, making sure that I get all of Brenda's honey do list completed. although that is not a hobby, but a FULL time job!!
Saving the best for last, 5 grand kids!!!!! :thumb:

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
Dorcas -- For we all are not faceless people. If you go look in the menu under "Faces", you will see that a lot of us are just a bunch of ugly old farts, (such as myself) and you will see some young farts also. And if I remember correctly, there are a few perrrrrty ladies , (as we say here in Tx.) also!! All in good fun everyone!!!!