Other hobby's?

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
omg, thats blasphemy!!!! <-- i hope i spelled that right :D

lol, model cars and such

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Some years back I chose to pursue one hobby, setting the others aside as finances and time are precious enough as it is. Doing that has given me more time for my children, a handfull enough now that I'm 45. I've never looked back and have found enough sub-hobbies in model trains to keep me busy for a long time. :thumb: :thumb:

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
I like drawing.
When working on how I wanted to do a layout I did up a whole heap-a plans.
Ain't had much chance to do it as of late.
With there being a travel time of a good hour at least to find any rail traffic it
doesn't give much time fer draw'n.
Did model cars, and sci-fi ships... but like Shaygetz says... It's hogging up my money.
:rolleyes:

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
I am a R/C racer, i have been in a few magizines and i race R/C cars for a couple company's. i am a sponsored racer and i am starting to travle around for big R/C races and events. but trains are my first and favorite hobby.

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
After my Accedent, I got tired of sittin on me duff, so retrained as a cabinette maker,but the injuries I sustained, no enployer will take a chance on me, and give me a job, so I have set up a workshop in my back yard and sometimes I make the odd peice of furniture for the boss, or friends, or commision. but as I cant work on anything for to long at a time they are few and far between. so my skills get a little rusty, but the feel, smell of the differant timbers that I work, realy give my a new love for woodwork, my trains are the main hobby that I do, and I will put in storage under the layout someday, in tassy oak, blackbut, and/or redwood....have a good one steve

J&A_RR

Feb 11, 2005
austin, tx (round rock)
sweet livesteam, have always liked R/C cars and off road trucks. but alas...money.

I mountain bike for my health and for another hobby if you can call it one. I know, I know... mountains is central texas?? luckily this is a good riding area in the state with lots of trails of different difficulties. but right now family is first, wife stays home with the little ones which takes away an income provider but well worth it.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I like dabbeling in computer art with Corel Painter 8, Poser 6, Cararra 4 and Bryce3D. They are all challeging. I hope to get good enough to create a roster of steam engines along with crew all in 3D. So far I have created the wheels, axles and frames for an 0-6-0 switcher. It is taking me much longer than I expected to get all the parts to fit. I will post the results here bit please don't hold your breath. I will use Bryce to do the bachground.

toolman

Mar 23, 2005
east brunswick nj
My other hobby is slot cars, not the ho type, but true 1/32, 1/32 womps, group 12's, group 20's and 4 1/2" nascar, and drag. Ran on tracks like ovals, king type tracks. rebuild the motors. I have old timers from the '60's. My oldest car is from '63 made by revell with a pitman rp 77 motor. In all I have about 150 cars of the oldtimers and what is running know.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
My other hobby is a 1987 Firebird Trans Am built in the 12 inches to the foot scale. I also saw a die cast car model that I liked and bought it. Now I need a cabinet to display all of the die cast I've bought! My first love was cars, and I've been a car nut all of my life. It is only now that my daughters are grown, and our nest is getting empty that I can indulge in my car hobby. I can't afford to collect the real thing though. The Firebird is a lot of fun, but it is all I can afford to have. I have to say the new electronics are awesome. I've got a roller cam 350 putting out about 280 horse power, and I still get 22-23 mpg on trips!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
My other hobby is hanging out at the Gauge!!! :D :D :D

Seriously though, I spend a lot of time messing around on my computer, but i guess it's mostly model RR related - searching for reference online, making signs for my stores...that sort of thing.

I would love to get into RC planes or boats, or even collecting 1/6 military figures but I figure one expensive hobby is enough. :rolleyes: I also occasionally do a painting (acrylic not oils), and when the weather is nice gardening is a sometime hobby as well.

Val

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
fishing is not a hobby, its serious business ;)
Hunting is not a hobby,it too is serious business ;)
Motorcycles are serious business :)
Computers are serious business
Trains and slot cars are my hobbies :D
Woodworking is not a hobby yet although it is getting there looking at what i soent on a new tablesaw/workshop this last year

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
One...

...of my other hobbies is amatuer radio (ham radio). My call sign is AB3AO. It started out with wanting to learn more about railroad tower callsigns identified thru telegraphy, the shorter the better (i.e. "SF" for Suffern Tower, NY). Then I got a scanner, which led me to surfing freqs and I found amatuers on the 2 meter band.

The best part was finding other hams who were also RR enthusiasts: like WB3LOG who turned me on to the RAILFANNING READING website which is a group of guys who meet every Friday to watch trains.

RAILFANNING READING

Mark

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
Ahh. Other hobbies. I probably have too many. I, too, have been an Amateur Radio Operator for many years, although not as actively now as I used to be. I also enjoy music of just about any type, with a preference for classical and organ. I'm into photography, too, but that very often ties into railroading. I guess you could say theatre is a bit of a hobby, too, as I serve on the Board of Trustees of our local regional theatre. There might be more; but the above is probably more than I really have time for. I'm also active in Rotary, but that's not really a hobby.

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
Hi all, My other hobby is landscaping and ponds. As with my model railroad moto - the bigger the better. When the weather is so-so, im spending alot of the banks money on E'bay buying lots of stuff i dont need. Haven't really gotten the ambition to sell on e'bay yet - lol :p

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Some of my "Other Hobbies" are complimentary to the Model Railroading/Railfan hobby..

Photography
Wood working
Web Page Design
Driving in cars (Cruising)
Antique Car Shows
.....and yes, Surfing the internet. :)

Is watching TV a hobby?? when you watch shows like, Monster garage, The History Channel (Modern Marvels) and Antiques Roadshow???

Also a big South Park Addict ..... a Star Wars fan since '77 :) :) and a Star Trek (Original Series) fan too :)

In my spare time - I admin The Gauge :D :D :D

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Well lets see My hobbies:

1. Working on my websites
2. Taking Photo's
3. Moderating here at the gauge
4. Building Lego Fire Trucks that look like the real deal :D :D :D :D
5. Building Model Airplanes ( WWII to be exact )
6. Building Lego Trains ( Haven't Done That In A Long Time )

One that is not a hobby but is a volunteer job:
1. Volunteer Firefighter :D :D

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Besides enjoying photography and RV-ing, I have been a stamp collector for as long as I have been in model railroading. Currently, I am in a somewhat "inactive" phase since retirement as stamp collecting is also a very expensive hobby to maintain!.

Dick

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
I like to fly R/C planes and sailplanes in the summer when I can. Been a member of a club for a number of years. Used to even teach others to fly, but I don't do that as much anymore. It is a LOT easier to cause expensive damage in R/C then it is in model railroading!!