OT: viewing the ISS tonight, should be a good one.

Discussion in 'North America' started by jleslie48, Aug 17, 2006.

1. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

here in the northeast given the clear skies, in the NYC area starting at about 9:15PM local time, and will travel very nearly directly overhead.
  2. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

How long is it visible?
  3. Kaz

Kaz Member

If you sign up with these people http://www.heavens-above.com/ and plot in your coordinates, available from Google Earth ! it can tell you when asteroids, the ISS and iridium flares, amongst many other things can be visible to you. Not only that, but how long and even where to look.
  4. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Very cool! Thanks.
  5. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

yup thats were I check for my viewing info. its never up for more than 5 minutes though, its very fast, but at magnitude -1.0 (the more negative the better,) it will be very visible. pull out a lawn chair, look straight up and she'll fly right overhead. I suggest you go out a 10-15 minutes early and let your eyes get accustomed to the dark, and then at 5 minutes too, start watching the sky.
  6. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Heck...start watching the sky as soon as you go out. Might see a stray Perseid meteor. There have been a number of nice colorful fireballs from that shower this year...though I only saw one yellow one...too much smoke in the air from nearby wildfires. 8v)

7. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

quite right. I was camping this past weekend away from the city and it was a heck of a light show. even with the full moon.
  8. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Im travelling to the KSC, Or Mecca as I call it, next week to see tha launch of STS-115...

Im drooling thinking about it.....

John John
  9. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

John John
    You really going?!?!?!?
    Be there in the name of all of us!!
  10. milhistory

milhistory Member

Thanks for the info and link. The ISS passed directly over my town (Staunton, VA) and we went to see it. Really, really cool. It was much brighter than I thought it would be.

11. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Didn't get to see it in northern New Jersey. Too much cloud cover.
  12. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I ended up with cloud cover as well, it was patchy though, and the ISS shined brightly through it. I'm only a mile from the North New Jersey border.

It was quite a nice site. There seemed to be another satellite just after it a bit to the south on the same trajectory, but I couldn't find any info on it. I alot dimmer, but strangely on the same trajectory. I wonder if the jettisoned some trash or something, and it was following the iss on its death spiral.