OT: playing video files why so complicated (need help)

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by jleslie48, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

ok so I have this link:

to some video. Now apparently quicktime will play it, but that a 35mb piece of bloatware, I don't have installed. I go and try a find a nice simple player, why is this so difficult??? Does anybody have a simple explanation as to what all this crap about codecs, and such and why this stuff is such a mess? I don't want playlists, and skins, and bla, bla, bla, the old WMP (windows media player) was a fine interface for me, but it won't handle this file extension, and WMP's replacement windows media player classic get all tripped up with this codec thing, that I can't seem to resolve. Cant get a simple straight answer.

So I'm turning to you guys, hopefully someone will have a nice simple turn-key solution to playing this video.
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

one of the players/codec i use is Divx, it is free to get the player and the codec, once the codec is installed, Windows Media Player will play the mp4 format files.

the Divx player is pretty big, 21 megs in memory.
    both Divx installs are only 4.6 megs in size.

You might want to check it out at www.divx.com
  3. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Thanks rick,

but I've tried to install divx several times, and its doesn't do anything. It keeps complaining about something, and not playing the video. Last time I tried DIVx it didn't even have a File-->Open buttons at the top. It seems to think its being clever by making playlists, and all kinds of nonsense I don't care about, and I still don't see my video.

Do you have a step-by-step walkthru of what to download, how to install, and do a File-->Open--> play using DivX?

I have yet to figure it out.

and I won't start on how annoyed I am that I have to download a ???

21 meg player, and then ??? 4.6 mb? (more than one??) additional files???
    to play a video??

I'm confused already.

Why doesn't the 21mb download play the video???

It's just ridiculous.
  4. rickstef

rickstef Guest

the standalone divx player does have a menu, in the top left corner there is a dropdown arrow that shows all those options.

and what i meant to say, the install of divx was only 4.63megs on my hard drive, in RAM it bloated to 21 megs

funny, i just updated to the latest version, 6.1.1 and there is now a regular dropdown menu, under file

5. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

thanks rick.

so I downloaded the 15mb install package.

Installed the program.

opened my mp4, (horray!! they actually have a nice simple File-->Open!!!)

but it errors saying I need to add a codec: tag 5376
    whatever that means. there is no button to "add a codec" from the DIVX program. Great.

So I hit the help button. brings me to the internet help forum. I search for "5376" and it tells me to download "Download [ 3ivx D4 4.5.1 ]"

so I download that, "3ivx_d4_451_win.exe", run it, and it installs, (another program??? this is stupid. ) and I reopen DIVx and the same problem happens. This is just so stupid.

6. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

ok, well now the basic WMP is playing the mp4 now at least.

I think that second exe upgraded WMP to understand mp4. Why this is an exe is beyond my understanding. but at least it works.
  7. Kaz

Kaz Member

8. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

just tried it. crashed on the mp4, and on .mov plus its gone and done that super annoying thing of changing the common dialog header at the top (the basic commands (File Edit Help...) to some cutesy interface that only serves to make it hard to find things. God I hate that...
  9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I have had some problems playing various media files myself. I got to thinking about it a while back and decided I would reinstall Windows Media Player and see if that helped. I had previous taken it off my system as I HATE anything that comes out of that sound alike town north of my home in Redmond, Oregon. When I did reinstall it, my problems ceased. It might be you have a problem with media player. Perhaps reinstalling it would help your situation.

Now, if only I could figure out what it is about WMP that makes things work when it is gone, and I could remove that thing again, I would be happy.
  10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

right click ... open with ... choose program ... select media player classic.

This is for XP users.

Others can use Winamp which is great for play .mp3 .mp4 and .mpeg files.
  11. Kaz

Kaz Member

or get windows media player classic alternative, it also has an alternative for .mov files, sadly not ready for .rams from here
  12. keith

keith Member

what you need to do is find an old keyboard and plug it in for a while.
    That way when you break it in half with your bare hands, you won't have broken a good keyboard and you'll feel alot better! :)

Ashrunner is right though, sometimes installing things overwrite the good dll's with bad ones and all you need to do is re-install WMP.

I've also noticed that on XP, if something isn't doing what it's supposed to do, you probably should restart your computer, XP seems to crash without crashing!

13. George

George Member

The single best player...

....according to me!!!

Download from:

Does it all...forget CODECS!!!
  14. Kaz

Kaz Member

Well I had a look at the video you were trying to watch, and to be honest, it really isnt worth it.....
  15. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

finally saw it. your right.

the board of directors at the center are all excited about it. they think its great. thats because the co that did it did it for free. It shows IMO. Alas I'm just the model maker...
  16. Kaz

Kaz Member

So you made the models?
    Did the sound on your download run too fast for the video? It sounded like those cartoon chipmunks, and the audio finished about two thirds of the way through, giving an explanation to the garbled sound. Awful stuff.
  17. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

you can't even see my models in the video. I didn't experience the problems with the video that you are seeing, but the '2001 a space oddessy ' music was a bit heavy handed. Plus it was used for Monty Python, and I kept expecting that big animated foot to come down and squash the earth/kick it like a soccer ball.

the music is not timed correctly with the prose, and the voice and music are not properly blended.
  18. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

The video played fine for me.

Well ... it's 2X the length it should be ... voiceover is rather tired sounding and video shots are obviously not well planned out and poorly shot.

I'm not sure if it was properly storyboarded out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.