OT: Middle Age Attacks!

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
myltlpny said:
When I turned 30 I found a great radio station....turned out to be the classic rock station.
I knew I was getting older when I started noticing the Playboy models were all at least 10 years younger than me.

I cried when I heard VanHalen being played on a classic rock staion for the first time.

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
Renovo PPR said:
Well to own a so called assault weapon which would be a fully automated waepon you do have to be over 21. Then there is the case of expensive license and fees plus tracking by the BATF. In any event it is not common in the United States. I just wanted to point out the difference no matter what your thoughts are about the issue.
There is some confusion here.

An assault weapon is not classified as such because it is capable of automatic fire. The classification is derived from the militaristic styling of the weapon and combinations of features such as pistol grip, flash suppressor, folding stock, etc. Assault weapon is a political term, while assault rifle is a technical military term for certain weapons capable of selective fire. That is, they can be switched between semi and fully automatic fire.

The assault weapon is controversial because it has the same general capabilities as sporting weapons while having the appearance of a military weapon. Assault weapons do not require a federal license to possess. Possession of fully automatic weapons such as assault rifles and machine guns have required a federal license for many, many years.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Jim Krause said:
I don't know what your tax structure is in Missouri but here in Montana the taxes bring a carton of Camel cigarettes up to about 48 dollars.

I knew raising the price of ciggarettes would make people quit!

Cannonball said:
To help with the smoking, the doctor also put me on Welbutrin which is an anti-depressant that carries the added side benifit of reducing the urge to smoke.

When ever you feel the urge, put on Thomas the Tank Engine:D , or do this: hamr or this:wall1 or this: train97 or this:fence1 or this: aussie Hope this helps!:thumb:

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
myltlpny said:
What's 50 going to bring?

A book called 'My Time: How to use the bonus decades after 50':D My dad's 50 something and his younger brother sent him that book for my dad's big 50. He recently gave it to my mom for her big 50 'cause he's never gonna read it!sign1

jambo101

Feb 14, 2007
Montreal
Cannonball said:
I went to the doctor's this morning for a check up.
I'm now on medication for high blood pressure.

I could probably go off of it if I:
Quit smoking
Drop about 100 pounds
Give up Mt. Dew. :(

Your doctor is probably worried that you are a prime candidate for type2 diabetes,
which is what i've had for the past 5yrs (No fun)due to being overweight from a crappy diet,too many Cokes.Giving up smoking to prevent stroke or heart desease is tough,i cant seem to win that one..Unless you make a lifestyle change i dont think you will be giving up the blood pressure medication it will probably be joined soon by cholesterol medication.
Nows the time to take your doctors advice seriously..

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
Torpedo a full auto gun is the only assault weapon, but everyone likes to play with the words for impact. In any event I really want to pass on this subject and stick more to blood pressure and trains so for the rest of the thread I will since basically it is very uncommon to see kids runing around with full auto weapons in the United States.

In any event my blood pressure is good and if your at a young age it is best to get it under control now. It can lead to larger problems down the road.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
jambo101 said:
Your doctor is probably worried that you are a prime candidate for type2 diabetes,
which is what i've had for the past 5yrs (No fun)due to being overweight from a crappy diet,too many Cokes.Giving up smoking to prevent stroke or heart desease is tough,i cant seem to win that one..Unless you make a lifestyle change i dont think you will be giving up the blood pressure medication it will probably be joined soon by cholesterol medication.
Nows the time to take your doctors advice seriously..
I'm a canidate for diabetes anyway.
Comes from both sides of my family.
Right along with the high blood pressure
And cancer

Makes me wonder WTF I was thinking when I picked up this rotten smoking habit 20 years ago.
Oh, yeah... I was 18 and thought I was invinceable. :rolleyes:

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
Oh, yeah... I was 18 and thought I was invinceable.
rolleyes.gif

DIDN'T WE ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Just turned 41 a couple days ago,haven't had a check up since I joined the reserves about 16 years ago so I have no idea where I stand right now.What I do know...

Smoke about 1 1/2 packs a day(atleast they're Ultralights!)

Drink some Coke,but mostly Lemon Sunkist,awesome stuff by the way.If I had to drink a diet soda it would be Fresca,it's the only one I can tolerate.

I'm about 20-25 pounds overweight so not too bad.

Anyways,good luck on that stuff I'll be rooting for you!

Chris

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
WARNING: May Require Extensive track cleaning!

I just thought up a way to solve your smoking problems: put all of your cigarettes on your train tracks and have your beauties run your habbit over:D

pooka2hot4u

May 30, 2006
Cannonball said:
and thought I was invinceable. :rolleyes:

welcome to my world, lol
but honestly with all the things i tend to do sometimes, smoking is the least of my worries.

but i hope you can get over it, i did but i guess i just dont have a verry addictive personality :D

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
I retired from 30years of medical practice. My only words of wisdom are - remember that the mind is the second thing to go. :D

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
what erks me is when the government sues the tobacco companies for selling cigaretts. They win these big settlements and put some money into anti smoking commercials and then raise the taxes on them, like they are concerned. If they truely where concerned about us smokers they would make nicotine a drug ( it has been said to be as addictive as morphine) and regulate it over the years so that the first year it would be allowed......say 2 mg of nicotine. Then over the years it would drop .5 mg per year until there was no more nicotine. The problem is they (the politicians ) arnt really concerned about the people they serve but more concerned about the taxes it raises..........................................................(steam comes out of my ears) just my opinion Thanks Roger

pooka2hot4u

May 30, 2006
thing is illegalizing nicotine will not make it any more hard to ontain, only thing it will do is turn it into an illegal substance thus resulting in crime and violence being produced by its sale. same as what happened with other drugs like cocaine.
back in the 1800's and early 1900's it was perfectly legal and you never saw people getting killed over a purchase of cocaine. now you have all these drug trafficking cartels fighting each other over it, yet the law does not make it any harder to obtain. if you really want it its easy to get. instead of illegalizing these things people should just be educated about it so there is simply no demand for it.

well i shall get off the rant box and quit taking this discussion off track now.

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
Renovo PPR said:
Torpedo a full auto gun is the only assault weapon, but everyone likes to play with the words for impact. In any event I really want to pass on this subject and stick more to blood pressure and trains so for the rest of the thread I will since basically it is very uncommon to see kids runing around with full auto weapons in the United States.
Pooka2hot4u stated:

"in fact im really confused as to why you can own assault rifles and drive trucks and trains in this country at 18 yet you gota be 21 to buy beer"

Note the term 'assault rifle.' My point is that this is incorrect. If he really means assault weapon, then he is correct. The terms assault weapon and assault rifle are not interchangeable. The term assault weapon was defined by law, since expired, and it does not include the capability for fully automatic fire.

I think we should get rid of the 18 is an adult, but you have to be 21 to drink inequality, by all means. Let's do it by making anyone under 21 a minor, just as it used to be. :D:D:D

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Might be little hard to do when we make them sign up for Selective Service at 18. Let's face it; if those kids are now adult enough to go to pay taxes, get married, and go to war and die, then they are old enough to do anything else they please as full adults.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Cannonball: Re-read my earlier post about my wife's condition due to type two diabetes. It's no fun for you or for your family. I would much prefer taking my wife to movies or some other entertainment instead of going to twice monthly Dr's. appointments and Diabetes workshops. The problem is with most diabetics, they don't want to make the changes necessary to control the problem. This is not being said as criticism but as a challange to you to get started on some healthy changes.