OT: Lost my job this week. Looking for employment.

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by jleslie48, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Laid off.

Should of known it was coming. Work was very light. Anyway if anyone knows of any leads for a project manager/senior software programmer in the NYC or North New Jersey area, please let me know.

Just finished updating my resume.
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Lots of them here in wisconsin where I work. Sorry man :( hopefully you have some savings to fall back on.
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Real sorry to hear that jleslie.:(

I sure hope it does not take long to find and fill a spot somewhere else.

I'll be pulling for you!

4. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Jon, So sorry to hear that. I lost mine back at the end of May, and still no prospects in sight. Hopefully your job skills will be more marketable than mine, especially in that area. I sometimes get related jobs in my jobsearch agents, if I see one down your way that looks good, I'll let you know. Meanwhile, hang in there, and mangle some paper, it'll help.

Best wishes and Good luck,

Scott K.
  5. barry

barry Active Member

What's the freelancing (agency) work like over there in software ?

Best of luck

6. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Sorry, I know that the Department of Veterans Affairs is ALWAYS looking for IT and software guru's...at least here in Minnesota...
  7. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

Thanks for all the well wishes everybody.

I still have one good consulting contract (freelancing) until I'm a total bust, but they were not the big player in my finances. I'll be giving it a good run right here in NY metro area before I consider relocating. I'm a city boy...
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Sorry to hear, must be in the wind, My Wife will be out of work end of the year............ company sold to another, that doesn't need a sales force.

Hope you find your "dream job" this time.

Good luck.

9. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Hate to hear the bad news Jon. I lost my job back in april and still don't have any prospects. At least you have some good skills on your resume that will hopefully get you into a great job. We are pulling for ya man!
  10. hpept

hpept Member

Bad to hear this john, all i can do is to sympathyze with you and welcome you to the army of the unemployed people. I've been searching for a job for more than one year now, and still no positive perspective. Hope it ends soon for all of us and finally find the job we're looking for. Good luck.
  11. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

just to keep all concerned updated.

the interview process over the last 4 weeks has gone very well. I have already received a very fine offer from an engineering firm not 15 minutes from my house and that included a very nice pay raise. I am expecting another offer as early as today as well from another software company in the city. Both offers are for work far more interesting than the job I was let go from.

Thanks again to all for your best wishes and voices of concern. It was a big help in keeping me on track to the task at hand.

12. RichBohlman

RichBohlman Railroad Card Modaler

Very glad to hear that things are looking up! Rich
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That's fantastic Jon!

I'm glad the situation has really turned around and I'm very happy for you!

Keep us updated on further developments!

14. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Great to hear that Jon. I'm sure you are as skilled as the very best, and now that the IT environment is refreshing up in the USA (at least that's what they say in the IT reviews), you can find something very good.
    Keep up the good mood!
  15. 46rob

46rob Member

For anyone experiencing the loss of a job, Having lived to the age of retirement, and endured several such things....the key is to get another job--any job--first, money comes in....secondly, it shows a potential employer that you are serious about working. Euphenisms like "between jobs", "laid off", all have negative connotations....So even if you're holding down a temporary job, selling menswear at a department store, it still looks better than "between jobs". I worked as a technical recruiter about fifteen years ago--and the people most often hired were those currently employed--even if it was outside of their field of expertise. Demonstrated a strong work ethic.
  16. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Glad to here things are looking up. At least you did not have to move :). I must say my new employer is keeping me busy.
  17. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

Happy Thanksgiving.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.