Osage Valley's Scrap Metal & Pipe Car

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
Excellent work Casey!!

That is a short car, about 20ft?

I was just curious about all the "stuff" on the shelves in the back ground. Is it cast pieces, or individual things. If cast, who made it and what scale is this?

Nice work on the details, Casey!!

Drew

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Casey, thats some really fine work there my friend, I have it's twin sister.
Shamus

Drew:the car is 21' in HO scale. The shelves are a resin casting. I paint all of the details with acrylics, using a #0000 red sable brush and a #10/3 or 10/4 red sable brush. I work under a lighted magnifier because some of the details are so tiny.

I designed and printed my own decals. All of the cars I've built for this train are lettered for the OVT&L.

Shamus: Do you have any photos of your version? I'd love to see it.:p

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Casey, Those little resin casting 'sho do make the job easier. Here's a few inside of my car repair shop....Sorry 'bout the focus...kinda hard to get the camera lens between the rafters.

Attachments

• castings.gif
    castings.gif
    87.2 KB · Views: 47
You're right about those resin castings, Vic. They make a huge difference in the finished model. I wasn't sure if I would like them when I first started using them in various scenes. Like most modelers, I had used white metal castings for years and was happy with most of the ones I got. But the resin castings are so clean ( in terms of flash) that they need very little prep/cleanup time. And they take paint as well as white metal.

I always feel "guilty" when people compliment me on my models, because the guy who made the castings (in this case, Brett Gallant) is the true craftsman. I'm little more than a "painter." Some day - in an effort to expiate that guilt :rolleyes: - I may try making my own detail parts and casting them. (Yeah, about a hundred years from now.... :eek: :rolleyes: :D :D )

I think I may have already posted this, but below is my rendition of a "through the rafters" scene. All of the castings are resin.

Attachments

• interior 3.jpg
    interior 3.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 40

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
Resin casting info

OK Casey, now that you have spoke so highly of the castings, and their maker, where does one go about finding them?

Your 'through the rafters' scene is pretty convincing. I even thought I saw a mouse run across the floor!!

Drew

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Casey:
The weathering looks good.
As an aside, the NMRA contest rules would knock you down for scratchbuilding, I believe, proportionately to the effort you put in vs the effort Brett put in. (Not intended as criticism, especially as I probably couldn't even get them painted that well.) (I once went to a clinic on NMRA contest judging, which discouraged me from entering contests, but made me think I might manage as a judge.)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by Gary Pfeil
What gorgeous work! Every element so well done. It's beautiful.

Gary

That pretty much says it for me too, Casey!
Your modeling is most impressive!
:cool: :cool: :cool: