Orlik Wright Flyer I, 1:25, #17 4/2005

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
First Impression

Orlik [Wright] Flyer I kit, number 17 published in 2005.
Scale 1:25

Price: $8.45 at www.papermodelstore.com. They also stock the Draf Model laser parts kit for $8.45

This kit is an A4 sized book with 6 pages of nice card stock (0.21mm or about 175 gsm), 1 page of paper parts, and 3 pages of diagrams plus instructions (in Polish). English instructions can be obtained at Orlik's web site using this URL: http://www.orlik.konradus.com/instruction.html

Now THIS is how it should be done, no reason it ought not to be this easy to get english instructions. Halinski?...

My first impression is that this is a nice quality product, good printing and paper. The main color is odd however (more on this later). Instructions, as usual, are sparse. This is definately NOT a beginner's model, as there are lots of small parts, sticks, and rigging lines to handle. The rigging on this is going to be a huge challenge!

Attachments

• Flyer01.JPG
    Flyer01.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 260

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
This is a shot of one of the wing part pages, which naturally enough for this subject, covers most of the book!

My beef with this is the odd color. The real Flyer's fabric wing covering would be more of a natural undyed fabric sort of color, closer to white. Not sure where they get this yellow from - oh well...

Attachments

• Flyer02.JPG
    Flyer02.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 261

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
This page has all the "wood" parts, printed in a wood grain pattern (with spare swatches!) on regular paper. Some of these get laminated to 0.5mm or 1.0mm cardboard.

Attachments

• Flyer04.JPG
    Flyer04.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 256

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
This is a shot of the laser cut parts kit I got for this, made by Draf Model. The laser cut kit is as expensive as the Flyer kit itself, but I cannot see myself doing this kit without it! There are 76 wing ribs, barely 2mm at the widest point! Plus a lot of other really skinny parts. This will make the non-rigging parts of the construction much more enjoyable!

The skinny sheet on the left of this picture is 1mm, the rest is 0.5mm

Attachments

• Flyer05.JPG
    Flyer05.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 261

josve

Oct 21, 2005
Odda Norway
That loks like a very nice kit!
I'm really looking forward to your build of this one!!

And I totally agree with you on the laserparts issue :)
It makes things a lot more easy.....
And after I have tried lasercuts on the draf,I will try to buy kits where lasers are available.