Orlik PBJ-1H Mitchell

Z

Zathros

Congratulation!! Well done sir! It's a beautiful model, if it was plastic, they would have given you first, but would have had to do some explaining! Great job! Thanks for posting this, it is the pinnacle Mitchell Bomber ever made, and the one all others will have to measure up too, paper or plastic! :goldcup::wave7:

Shika, they are plastic, BOMARC won a contest with his paper PBJ-1H Mitchell model. That's the point of this thread.

shika

Jul 29, 2012
Rayong, Thailand
Thank you for correcting me Zathros.

Paper plane won the bronze prize on plastic models competition !!!

Make me feel really good being paper modeler (even though I'm an amateur). ^ ^

Bomarc

Feb 11, 2004
Make me feel really good being paper modeler (even though I'm an amateur)

No worries Shika, I’m an amateur myself....

Thanks for the good words gents (and the interesting smilies)!

Perhaps I should point out some of the differences between the two judging methods currently in play in the IPMS system. In the more “traditional” judging style of “First-Second-Third” (FST), commonly found at regional and national IPMS contests, models are judge not only to a basic standard, but also against one another for their particular scale/category (for example: 1/72nd Military Jets, etc). In this way, the playing field is smaller, but only three people walk away with something (four if there’s an “Out of the Box” award) for each category.

The “Gold-Silver-Bronze” (GSB) method of judging, which I believe was started in the armor modeler community, specifically AMPS, the models are lumped together in loosely define categories (such as “Aircraft-Military”, the category the Mitchell competed in) and are judged only against a more defined standard, not each other. I think the GSB method is a plus when paper models have to compete directly with plastic models, as comparing the two directly can be problematic, although not impossible, as I’ve had other paper models win against plastic in the FST method too. But IMHO, the paper model can fair better in a GSB contest as it can be judged on its own merits.

Now, for those of you who are turned completely off by “contests” and “judging”, etc., etc., I still highly encourage attendance (with your paper models in hand of course) to your local model club, be it IPMS sponsored or what have you. There were *many* models that were marked “display only” at the contest I attended (albeit plastic ones), and that’s usually been the case for any event or club meeting I’ve attended in the 18 years I’ve been active in IPMS. Plunking a model down on a table at a club meeting is the quickest and surest way to get positive feedback on your work, and talk model building with likeminded folks.

Alright, I’ll get down off my soapbox now....:eek:ops:

Mike

Z

Zathros

No soap box, I'm still amazed how many people are completely oblivious about the whole concept of paper models, card models, whatever you call it. So many people I personally know think it is an extremely fringe thing and have no idea where to even get them. My sons school is so indifferent about these things. They teach geometric shapes, and when my son comes in with the shapes made out of cardstock, they think he is either a genius, or an over achiever. They are still befuddled though. Seems better than saying confused. :)

treadhead1952

Mar 22, 2009
Las Vegas, NV USA
Congratulations on taking home some metal from a contest predominently aimed at styrene with a card model. When a card model takes home awards over entries in plastic it shows that those times are changin', for the better in my opinion.:thumb:

Bomarc

Feb 11, 2004
Thanks guys!

Leif! Always a pleasure when you drop in on a thread of mine.

I failed to mention that for the PENCONN event, I “tweaked” the old Mitchell a bit, so can rightly say that there’s something “NEW for 2012!” Not a large change, but readily noticeable to the discerning eye. Compare the recent photos with those I posted of the (then) newly finished model a few forum pages prior to this one, and see if you can spot it.

First to identity the change wins a pat on the back and hearty handshake from me (if I ever meet you in person that is…. tee hee!).

Mike

Bomarc

Feb 11, 2004
Is it that the spinners are now silver?

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!!

Yep. While I could find *one* photo of a VMB-613 Mitchell on Kwajalein with painted prop hubs and spinners (see below), the majority of them had unpainted (silver) hubs and spinners, including the subject of this model, “8 Ball”. The inner accuracy nut in me couldn’t let that go, and I thought the PENNCON event to be the perfect chance to “right a wrong” as it were…..

NewPicture.jpg

RagDaddy, if I’m ever in Ireland (here’s hopin’, it’s a beautiful country!), I’ll do more than shake your hand. First pint is on me.

Cheers!
Mike

Z

Zathros

Chaiwat, I don't think you could be a "newbie" anywhere? Everybody knows who you are! :)

Bomarc

Feb 11, 2004
Chaiwat, I don't think you could be a "newbie" anywhere? Everybody knows who you are! :)
Chaiwat? Was he here? I don't see any posts by him (I need to check in here more often....:eek:ops:)

Anyway, thanks for the kind words Pone and John!

Mike