Orion Nuclear Pulse Vehicle

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by jparenti, Aug 9, 2006.

1. jparenti

jparenti Member

I'm thinking of designing the Orion spaceraft as a paper model, despite the occasional plastic model I've seen. Paper is my medium. :) First of all, before I commit myself to this project, two questions:
    1. Does anyone know of a model of the Orion nuclear pulse rocket that has already been designed?
    2. If not, where is a good source for concept drawings of the vehicle?
    I have always wanted to build an Orion for myself, but now I'd rather offer it for free as a download when (and if) I am able to draw it. Any help on this would be appreciated, and if there's any interest out there in building this, let me know!
  2. damraska

damraska Member

Hi there,

A long time ago, MPC released a plastic model of a nuclear powered space station called the Pilgrim Observer. It's not a true Orion, but still interesting.

I believe the following documents will put you on the right track for designing a card Orion. The first two documents contain, amongst other things, drawings and scematics of the proposed spacecraft. The last two contain a lot of data and equations. Warning: some of these .pdfs are rather large.

Project Summary: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19650058729_1965058729.pdf

Conceptual Vehicle Designs and Operational Systems: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19770085619_1977085619.pdf

Mission Velocity Requirements and System Comaprison: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19660072847_1966072847.pdf

Mission Velocity Requirements and System Comaprison (Supplement): http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19660072846_1966072846.pdf

Good luck!

Attached Files:

3. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I'm almost sure I saw some scans of the instruction pages for these plastic kits somewhere... out there on the web somewhere... good scans too. it certainly will give some nice various angle views and sub-assembly pictures.

Anyone else with a better system of cataloging their urls remember?

here it is:

4. McPeek

McPeek Member

You might find something you can use at this site jparenti. Click Here
    There are alot of great images and other information.

I have also ran across a website of a fellow who is making master casts for a possible 1:144 and 1:72 Orion nuclear pulse rocket model in plastic.
    The pictures are at the bottom of the page.Link Here

5. jparenti

jparenti Member

Thanks! With some of this information and other information I've managed to collect, I think I can start the prototype. Be warned: This is how I intend to learn how to design my own model. As it comes along, I'll post pics and let you guys tear me apart constructively and point out my mistakes. Hopefully I'll end up with something that other modelers would like to build. Now to decide on which configuration I'll use for the first one...:)
  6. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Count me in

I am working on my first model as well and have been learning Meta and Pepakura. This model sounds (and looks) really interesting. When you get further along I will be happy to assist however I can.

Looking forward to watching this one develop.
  7. jparenti

jparenti Member

Looks like this will be the one I build.

Also, it appears this version was to be launched atop a modified Satun V with strap-on F-1 engine boosters. This site has pictures of the launch vehicle, as well. Will the higly detailed Saturn V coming together at jleslie's site eventually have to be modified to accept this spacecraft? Looks like I need to start at 1/96, and move on to 1/48, so I can keep that in mind for a future project...
  8. jparenti

jparenti Member

Now that the semester is wrapping up, I'm back trying to learn Metasequoia and Pepakura. Arrg! It's really harder than it looks.
    Is there anyone out there who is aware of the best way to put textures onto a model? I'm still learning... :grin:
  9. jparenti

jparenti Member

I actually am using one of the diagrams from that site for the build. Very useful site, indeed. :)
    I'm using Word right now to draw out some of the more obvious cylinders, probably going to use Meta and Pepakura to deal with the cones. I'm also using the cone calculator that jleslie has linked to his site.
    I think my biggest problems are going to result from the struts attaching the propulsion module to the pusher plate. I know in my mind how I should make the holes in that lower cone, I just can't figure out how to make it work on the screen. (Ah, AutoCAD, how I miss you! Haven't used it since high school!) :grin:
  10. RocketmanTan

RocketmanTan Well-Known Member