Original TV Series Batmobile Sells For $4.2 Million At Auction.

Z

Zathros

I don't think the whole original series i worth 1/1000th of that price, to me anyways. That car is awesome, but some of the reproduction ones, made with tubular chassis and fiberglass bodies are real performers, compared to that overweight pig of an automobile. It is an excellent looking car though, and will always be the "First" Batmobile, so it will always be worth the most.

I do find it tragic that George Barris took a 1955 Lincoln Futura and bashed it into the Batmobile. That's ind of short sighted and fiberglass was around in the plenty by that time.

The reproduction on the bottom pic starts off of 1970's era car frames and is built up from the bottom up using comics. It is also licensed b D.C> comics and only costs around $150,000 +/- (only, right?!?).

It'll smoke the original one though!

lincoln_futura_c.jpg

image.axd

paper hollywood

You're closer to right than you might think. Our local Dallas ABC affiliate, WFAA, used to run a weekly "Let Me Speak to the Manager" show where manager Mike Shapiro would answer letters on air. I remember him grumbling once about that new Batman show costing a whooping $25,000 per episode. Actually, I just read someplace on the web that it cost an average of $75K per episode (probably more than Mike's heart could have taken). Anyway, there were 120 episodes total, so at $25K the entire series would have run a mere $3 million-- way under what the car sold for. Thus, if the eps did cost $75K (more realistic, I would think) the entire series would have cost $9 mil-- a bit over twice what Rick Champagne paid for the Batmobile last Saturday night.

BTW, I watched the entire auction that day and the Batmobile segment was really fun. It was practically like a Rolling Stones concert there were so many fans around. George Barris really had his day (in more ways than one).

Z

Zathros

When I was a kid, I thought the Batmobile was the coolest thing around, though I used to love when George Barris would tour all of his cars around the major malls. It was exciting to see all those double engined cars, some of which I haven't see since. I would have dropped Robin off at the first stop sign though! I would have also turned off the holographic onomatopoeia generator! That thing was just plain annoying!:)

batman.jpg

mondo

Jan 1, 2013
I wish the tv series would get released on dvd but Warner Brothers owns the character of Batman, while 20th Century Fox owns the series and because of legal issues the fans have to suffer.

Bhelliom

Jun 20, 2009
Parma Center NY
The old series is currently showing on the ME TV network (Memorable Entertainment Television). Hopefully, it's availble in your area (if you're in the U.S., that is).

I love this Batmobile! Despite certain aspects looking just a bit dated, it will always be THE Batmobile to me. Sheer torture, many years ago, when I was in Berwick, Pa, and one of them was nearby at an auto show I couldn't get to.

Scott K.

paper hollywood

Back in the '60s, I saw one of the 5 stand-in Batmobiles used on the show for exterior long shots and such. It was at the Dallas Autorama custom car show. It was not nearly as impressive as the original, I'm sure. The fiberglass body had warped areas and cracks. The windshields were not as well mounted to the body and kind of bowed up between fasteners. It was basically a counterfeit Batmobile and looked like it. I'm sure one of those would still fetch a good price, but was not four million dollar car.

Z

Zathros

I'm not too proud to say I'd drive as my daily driver a $150,000 dollar imitation licensed version if someone gave it to me. tooth1

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
as 1 of the guys over on facebook said, take the batmobile, get all that junk off of it, and restore the 55 Lincoln Futura to pristine condition and in the process make molds to do repops of the batmobile. that would be a more historically nice thing to do.

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Have no Idea what is cost but a Bentley Turbo R in a Wal-Mart lot. My fave though is a BSN Lamborghini Aventador getting gas at a QuikTrip
20120727_135432.jpg

Z

Zathros

That's amazing. I was getting tires at Sears for my 1998 Subaru Wagon. It runs beautifully, both of them. I have two of the exact same car, same colors, it just worked out that way, I got them really cheap. So, I am getting top of the line Micheline's all weather tires and this lady is there in an Audi A8, around two years old, trying to see if she can get the $39.00 dollar specials that were on sale. When the guy saw me, he asked her if she would wait so he could ring me out, as all they were doing was haggling, (they know me well at Sears),she got all huffy and was muttering. I paid him the $789 bucks or so for my tires, tax, etc, and she finally makes a comment about "why I would put such expensive tires on such an old car". I was shocked, I answered, "I love my family and the rubber is the only thing between them and the road", and I walked out. I really thought she had some gall to even comment to me. Just people living beyond their means. Oh, by the way, those Micheline's seem to last forever! :)

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
They make good tires. My Co. work truck has them on it but they only last that pig a little over a year, rotate them every 5K miles (about every 5 weeks)

Z

Zathros

Not that I know of. I really wish there was a way to doing MP4'ss and .AVI's. I don't know why. I can ask, but I doubt it. It would take a lot of space compared to a link to YouTube. :(

Diablo_Fire

Mar 3, 2013
Area 51
I had the chance to meet George Barris at the 2013 DieCast Space Las Vegas Super Convention last month and the man did not really impress me. He was trying to sell his books during the autograph session and was mobbed during the picture session. Of course I got my picture taken with him. But would I spend that kind of money on his creation. NO.

DSCN0856.jpg